Wednesday, April 16, 2014

THE LORD’S PRESCIENCE


Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

I was named after a literary character. My mother asked my older siblings what she should name me. So they decided on “Sally” – the baby of the Dick and Jane series.

I loved to read and write when I was a little girl. I am blessed that my mother kept and scrapbooked a number of my stories and artwork. I enjoy going through them once in a while, and am amazed how prescient they have been for my future life.


When I was seven years old, I was the Chief Editor (and reporter/writer) of our classroom newspaper. One time I wrote about my mother accidentally setting the dinner on fire.  I told her that it was my lead story and she made me erase the whole thing and find an alternate topic before the newspaper went to print!

Interesting that my first professional job was as a scientific Editor.

When I was eight years old, I wrote a short piece called When I Grow Up:

“When I grow up I will be a traveller, writing and illustrating things I see. I’ll collect coins and speak all the languages. I’ll make dresses, and eat gourmet meals. I have decided to do this so I can be able to learn about countries.”

I may not have travelled to a lot of countries (England where I was born; Germany when I was a baby; United States), but I have always been drawn to people of other cultures. I have lived in every Canadian province stretching from Alberta to Quebec. When I was in my early teens I wanted to be an interpreter with the United Nations, so I took (and excelled at) French and German. I collect stamps (not coins, but close enough). I am an accomplished seamstress. My husband makes me gourmet meals (LOL). And one of my favourite things to do is to travel and take photographs to capture what I’ve seen.

Before I graduated high school, I decided on a career as a science writer. I debated for a long time whether I would go into journalism or science; the latter won out. I have a Bachelor and Masters in Science, and have written a number of research papers.

American writer George Plimpton (of all people) heavily influenced the overall path of my life. He tried out a wide range of careers and then wrote or made documentaries about his experiences.

As for me, I have worked as a scientific editor, chemist/geologist, children’s science entertainer, teacher, science outreach educator, and technical (engineering) editor. I have had the opportunity to write a wide range of pieces about my experiences, many published.

My love for singing started when I was very young. Playing the piano was also a passion of mine. In my late teens I started to put the two together. Then my parents moved away and took the piano with them. Sigh.

It wasn’t until 1995 that I started singing in church. In 2001, a worship leader spoke over me that I would use my hands to write music for the Lord. I have been writing music ever since, although rarely sharing publicly. That is, up until two years ago, when through the Lord’s divine intervention, I wrote and released my first (official) CD, Turn the Page. That was followed in 2013 by my Christmas album Red & White.



In January 2013 I left the corporate/academic world to focus full-time on my writing and music ministry. I have a number of writing projects I am currently working on, including a short story for an upcoming anthology, a children’s picture book, and a devotional based on the songs from my CD Turn the Page.  This fall I hope to tour with my CD Red & White. After two years of praying about it, I am delighted to announce that I have recently entered in partnership as an Artist-Ambassador with Compassion Canada.

Two years ago, just after I released my first CD, health issues forced limitations where life had always seemed to be full of possibilities. Thankfully, the Lord brought me through that season, and the hope and promise of a new season is expressed in my song This New Year (link below). Be blessed and encouraged in your own journey!

This New Year:          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psz10ElkvYo

Website:                     http://sallymeadows.com

YouTube Channel:    http://www.youtube.com/SallyMeadowsMusic

Facebook:                   https://www.facebook.com/SallyMeadowsMusic

Twitter:                      @SallyMeadows


7 comments:

Peter Black said...

Wow,Sally! My word, haven't you had a few lifetimes compacted into a few years! :)
Thank you for sharing your fascinating journey and multifaceted background and skills. It's marvellous how each element lends towards your creative writing and music ministry today. ~~+~~

Sally said...

Thanks, Peter! Interestingly enough, my latest blog post on my own website is called "Stop Striving". It has been a growth area for me to stop and rest in the Lord instead of constantly pushing myself.

Susan Harris said...

A diverse skills set and experience, Sally. May God explode in you for His glory.

Sally said...

Thanks, Susan!

Glynis said...

. . .And you were born in England? Where, Sally? So was I. Thanks for this great post and for sharing so willingly your 'roots.' A learned woman, I see!

Sally said...

Glynis to answer your question: Dorchester, Dorset. My parents were Canadian - my dad was a military officer stationed there for training. All of my siblings were born in a different country or province (except for the first two - New Brunswick). My mum's parents emigrated from England to Canada before she was born, so I have strong British roots.

Eleanor Shepherd said...

What an interesting and diverse story. You are a women of many talents. Thanks for sharing with us.

Popular Posts