Friday, April 18, 2014

A GLORIOUS SPLASH OF TIME-by Heidi McLaughlin

                                                                        

An unrelenting knot in my stomach signals the beginning of my Easter week. My emotions become tender and anxious because Good Friday is approaching-again. 
This tension started ten years ago on a Good Friday, when I heard the whispered, gut wrenching words, “Were you there when they nailed Him to the tree?”  In that divine, hushed moment I became that mother gazing upon her own son hanging on a cross. I tried to envision my son in that scene-Donovan, the apple of my eye, with his wistful lopsided grin and dimples. The one who makes me double over in laughter, creates gourmet recipes, shops with me, and makes my buttons burst with pride.  My whole life has been devoted to nurturing, loving and protecting him.
So I am overcome with emotion when I place myself in that moment in time, where Mary stands, looking up at her son’s bloody, nail pierced hands as He hung upon the cross. To a mother, her son is always her cherished boy. We never forget the soft, warm cuddles, or long nights watching him toss with fever. How do we fathom being a mother who raises a son knowing he is appointed to die? How do we fathom the Son, freely giving himself for the world? That is what we have to grapple with-knowing Jesus has such a radical love, it disrupts our world.
 Just before Jesus went to the cross He had an intensely intimate conversation with His Heavenly Father. He said, “I have given them the glory you gave me-the glorious unity of being one, as we are” John 17:22(TLB).  It is unmistakably clear; Jesus was leaving you and me to continue on this radical mission to wash out a dark world full of selfishness, confusion and hatred with His Glory-a reflection of His essence-Love.
 It is glaringly obvious. I have this moment in history-a Glorious splash of time-to reflect God’s glory.  Most moments in time I don’t feel one bit glorious. As I tap my fingers in traffic or look at my watch in cashier lines, I know I cannot muster up any glory.  But Glory comes from the one who died for me, the Lord, whose spirit splashes through me. If I stop myself in the moment, wherever I am, I know that Spirit lovingly spills into me.
 My knot finally dissipates on Easter Sunday. My eyes shift from the excruciating horror of the cross to the magnificent beauty of a love beyond reason. I move from emotion to mission.  I have been asked to disrupt the darkness of this world with the Glory of this radical love. I am ready.
 “And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the spirit” (2 Cor. 3:18b NIV).
 How do we reflect God’s glory?
1.         Realize that God has given us this Glorious Splash of Time to reflect His Glory.
2.         Seek to know God’s love.
3.         Keep a pure heart – forgive freely.
4.         Ask the Holy Spirit to be the Glory in us.
Heidi McLaughlin lives in the beautiful vineyards of the Okanagan Valley in Kelowna, British Columbia. She is married to Pastor Jack and they have a wonderful, eclectic blended family of 5 children and 9 grandchildren. When Heidi is not working, she loves to curl up with a great book, or golf and laugh with her husband and special friends. You can reach her at: www.heartconnection.ca



   


6 comments:

Tracy Krauss said...

thank you for this thought provoking and lovely post. Blessings to you this Easter season

Peter Black said...

Heidi, thank you for this lovely poetic and devotional Easter weekend meditation.
And if I am correct, the great pic is of your handsome dimple-cheeked Donovan.
Easter Blessings to you and your loved ones through our Redeemer and Risen Lord. ~~+~~

Glynis said...

I think when we, as mothers, step into the sandals of Mary, we gain a whole new perspective. Yes, like you said, Heidi, if it were our sons hanging on that tree on which we gazed, we would know the gut wrenching agony borne from the mother son relationship. The Ultimate Sacrifice should be our impetus to live a life of gratitude. Thank you for the reminder this blessed Easter season. Your son is a sweetheart. You are right to feel blessed. Happy Easter my West Coast friend. [Zeal for Teal is coming up a week tomorrow once again. I still recall the generosity you gifted us with this time last year!] x

Eleanor Shepherd said...

Thanks Heidi for your contribution, although it was hard for me to read. I have felt a deeper affinity with Mary since my son's accident eleven years ago. My appreciation of Easter also increased because it

Eleanor Shepherd said...

Here is the rest:
gives me hope that one day my son will be well and whole again and healed of his quadreple

Eleanor Shepherd said...

Whoops! there it goes again . Continuing...
healed of his quadriplegia he will walk into the living presence of the Lord

Popular Posts