Thursday, August 25, 2011

Weak in Christ - Rose McCormick Brandon

I was guest speaker at a women’s retreat on the weekend. During my three days there I felt conscious of the Holy Spirit ministering through me. Though finding time for rest was difficult, I didn’t feel tired at all. But when I arrived home Sunday evening, I felt the weight of household duties rise to meet me. As I trudged through the front door, tiredness pressed into my bones.

When my body’s fatigued, my mind doesn’t function well. Even reading a book takes more concentration than I can muster. At times like this when physical weakness overtakes me, I’m keenly aware of my fragile humanness.

Jesus-followers often use the phrase “strong in the Lord.” Because Sister Jones’ faith is unshaken by many challenges we say she’s strong in the Lord. We also use this to describe people who do what we consider great things for God.

Most believers from time to time do great things for God. But I don’t plan to do anything great today. Today I’d describe myself as “weak in the Lord;” and I’m finding it a pleasant place. My weakness reminds me how dependant on Him I really am. I’m not self-sufficient, far from it. Feeling my humanity is good for me.

Today I crawl under God’s wing. He lowers it over me. I snuggle into Him; rest my head on His strong shoulder. Tomorrow I might wake up ready to take on the world again but today I plan to gain strength from Him because I am, after all, only human.

“Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me under the shadow of your wing.” Psalm 17:8
". . . we are weak in Him yet by God's power we shall live. . . " 2 Corinthians 13:4








1 comment:

Peter Black said...

Oh yes, Rose, I identify well with you.
I like your describing yourself "Today" as "weak in the Lord." I like that, for it contains the great gem of truth that whether we be weak or strong, rich or poor, struggling or successful, etc., we are "in the Lord" -- "in Christ"!

Popular Posts