Monday, July 09, 2012

All the Way to Taz - M. Laycock



The fun thing about the internet is that you can connect with people from all over the world. Lately I've been trying to boost the number of 'likes' on my Facebook author page (www.facebook.com/marcialeelaycock), so I've been running contests now and then for a free book.  I was a little dismayed but then delighted that one of the winners was from Tasmania - that small island state off the coast of Australia. I was dismayed because I knew the postage would likely be more than the value of the book, but then delighted to think that one of my books would make its way to such a far-off place.

That's the fun thing about books too - they can and do travel. When I published my first book, a collection of devotions published in a local newspaper, I was amazed at where the book ended up. I thought it would be strictly a local effort, purchased by readers who knew me in the area where I lived. Then one day I received an email from India. A pastor there had been taking courses at a Bible College in Canada and someone had given him a copy of Spur of the Moment. When he returned to India he read it and then sent it to his son in England. That young man emailed me to say the book arrived when he was particularly discouraged and he wanted to tell me how much it had helped him. India! England! And now Tasmania! A long way from a small town in central Alberta Canada.

It makes me think of that scripture verse that says, "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen" (Ephesians 3:20-21).

Never underestimate the power and reach of our Lord. He will accomplish his purposes through us, no matter how small our imaginations.

4 comments:

Peter Black said...

Congratulations Marcia!
That's a great encouragement and affirmation for your first book and ongoing writing gift and ministry.
It's an encouragement to me too, to keep writing and sharing the gift.
Thanks.

Diana said...

I often end up posting comments late, for one reason or another (Mom was very ill past few days). I love this post. I love connections. I'm a technophobe, but this sort of thing makes me a technophile. Great post. Thanks for sharing, Marcia

Something About the Joy said...

I just found this site through Janet Sketchley's God With Us blog and was encouraged by your admonition to "Never underestimate the power and reach of our Lord." It was a real comfort to me to remember that "He will accomplish his purposes through us, no matter how small our imaginations." I think we need to grow our imaginations.

Glynis said...

How very exciting to learn how far and wide your books are travelling and blessing many. Congratulations and thank you for sharing! x

Popular Posts