Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Good In All Things/MANN

“We need a new organ in the church,” an elder said at an annual meeting. Elated feelings of excitement flood through me like fresh cold water on a hot July afternoon. A new organ! I can barely bring myself to believe it. The key of G will be heard in my preludes, the expression pedal will invite the congregation to stand at an appropriate time and the music holder will remain firm under the rumble of those treacherous bass notes. What excitement I feel.

I listen as the chairman asks for volunteers to go and look at what the music stores are offering. A woman from the Women’s Group and two men from the Stewards put up their hands. I’m not asked! Then again I don’t offer, but an invitation should be a given. Granted I am young and have never been on a committee to buy an organ, but the three people who offer don’t share any Sunday morning music responsibility.

However, those same people will probably pay for it, so I am thankful. (Journal mid 60’s).

Situations often repeat themselves although circumstances and people change. I am always amazed at how human nature can see the good in most circumstances. Regardless of having to rethink the process, one can usually find the positive. Those of you who have followed my blog over the past six months will know that Doug & I moved from a large farm house into a modest town dwelling.

One of the treasures in packing and unpacking is discovering items long forgotten. Here in an old journal, I’m reminded of the circle of emotions from anticipation to disappointment to thankfulness. And here on another hot July day where I’m seeking out cold water, we work in the basement and try to stay cool. We can actually see the last round of boxes, and it feels good.

Unlike the committee who liked to listen to music more than play an instrument, Happy Hubby and I have learned in this move that we’re both experts in unpacking those boxes we’ve packed. So whether it’s an organ, tools, books or dishes, it really doesn’t matter who does what . . . as long as there is a positive side and it’s bright enough to notice.

Blessings,
Donna Mann
http://www.donnamann.org
.

1 comment:

Peter Black said...

Ooh, Donna,
I feel your mid 60s suppressed frustration (or was it more a sense of disconcertion?) at the organ search committee's constituency.
I guess those who pay for the pipes get to call the tone and quality of the tune, and that's the price we pay for meekly holding back and keeping quiet, although we know we have something to offer. Hmm.

Popular Posts