It began with a phone call from the church hospitality committee, “Could you make supper for John and Gena Vanderlip this Wednesday?”
“Sure,” I said without hesitation or reservation. Although we didn’t know them very well, our family had been thinking about and praying for the Vanderlips for the past few days. Gena had just had a baby. There had been serious complications—the baby was fine, but mother was feeling pretty feeble.
“I think I’ll make my special broccoli with rice dish,” I said to myself as I wrote “Cook for J and G” in the Wednesday block on the kitchen calendar.
The week was flying along as usual when one afternoon as I was preparing the family meal, I came across a head of broccoli. “What day is it?” I wondered in panic. A glance at the calendar confirmed my fear—Wednesday had already happened. It was Thursday.
I pulled myself together and got on the phone. It rang and rang. She was probably feeding the baby or maybe resting. Finally Gena answered, and I introduced myself.
“Yes,” came the short cold reply.
No doubt the hospitality committee had informed her when and who would be sending meals.
“Oh, Gena, I am so sorry, I was supposed to make your supper yesterday.”
“That’s okay.” She sounded almost forgiving. “When we finally got over it, we had oatmeal instead.”
I apologized all over the place, and she forgave me a million times, but nothing could change the deed not done.
As an exclamation mark to my sin of omission, that very evening at our small Bible study group we happened to discuss:
For we are God’s workmanship created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. (Ephesians 2:10)
If the Vanderlip Wednesday night meal was a good work God had prepared in advance for me to do, why didn’t He remind me to do it? Maybe I was too busy doing my own stuff to hear about His stuff. Maybe I’m not tuned in. I wonder how many other good works I’ve left undone.
I know good deeds don’t get us to heaven—that’s a gift. But I do want to live out God’s purposes in my life.
An excerpt from Blooming, This Pilgrim's Progress
by Marian den Boer
Looking for a place to feel inspired and challenged? Like to share a smile or a laugh? Interested in becoming more familiar with Canadian writers who have a Christian worldview? We are writers who live in different parts of Canada, see life from a variety of perspectives, and write in a number of genres. We share the goal of wanting to entertain and inspire you to be all you can be with God's help.
Friday, July 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
By Linda Hall In the past few weeks, romance novels have taken a hit. Entire blogs have been devoted to the fact that Christian romance nove...
-
I’m not a Scrooge. If you drive by my house you will see the Christmas swag on my front door and planters filled with decorations. I love...
-
by Reverend Dr. Ed Hird Life is messy. Family is messy. Marriage is messy. Church is messy. How do we navigate through the complexitie...
-
Jeremiah 29:11: “ For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord , “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give...
-
In her book The Pregnant Virgin, Marion Woodman tells us that we should not be afraid of change. She says that we should look at the amaryll...
-
In the introduction to Psalms 365: Develop a Life of Worship and Prayer , which will be released later this month, I make this statement, ...
-
The desk in my motel room. Oops, I think I see Facebook on my screen! I have the sweetest hubby ever. Maybe he just wanted a bit of p...
-
Charles Reaper Between 1869 and 1939, more than 100,000 children immigrated to Canada from England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. More...
-
This past week has been an exciting one as I distributed copies of my first picture book, Harry’s Trees, to my family. The book star...
-
My present journey through the Bible has landed me in the book of Jonah, a good place to land in January. When Jonah opened his in-box he f...
3 comments:
O-o-oh, Marian!
Having only too often known the self-disappointment of disappointing others, I feel for you.
However, our wanting to live out God's purposes in our lives keeps us pressing on, doesn't it?
Thank you for this touch of candour!
oatmeal is more nutritious than rice, she probably got over with it quick.
Anyway, she probably got over more quickly than I did.
Post a Comment