Friday, April 29, 2016

My day-by-day winter/Donna Mann


I will remember the winter of 2016 fondly. Being right handed and breaking it certainly proved challenging. And then several weeks after being cast free, I sprained the left hand and was soon casted again for another six weeks. To top that off, an injured rotator cuff continued to speak out. My life changed over night. My challenges grew daily. I learned much about self during these days. Most of these new skills, I will practice daily.

Breaking or spraining a hand can be heartbreaking, especially to a writer, but I want to focus on the perks. And yes, there were definitely many good things came out of this experience, both planned and unexpected. Strange how the body compromises, shows strength in unexpected parts. I was pleasantly surprised.

I couldn't do anything in the kitchen, so I welcomed a box of cooked food, fresh from a friend's freezer/refrigerator along with a caring note. This box lasted several days and gave Doug a break from the kitchen as well.

I enjoyed my husband's excellent cooking through the first six weeks and then during the second six weeks. More than that, he delivered the meals to my chair where I was encircled by my computer, the television, good books and sound system.  Added to that, he did the laundry, the vacuuming and the shopping. He was my chauffeur. And he even cut my meat at meals.

Signing up for six writing courses online proved to be as inspiring and entertaining as going to the theatre. Pausing to think, writing unreadable notes and then laughing at myself when trying to read them - proved the most challenging.

Now you might ask, how did I manage to take both hands out of commission? I tripped both times. During the winter, one of my best friends fell up her stairs. Another friend did a spread-eagle in her driveway. Between the ice, uneven ground, patio slabs and scurrying, some of us found it easy to fall. 


Having this experience caused me to slow down and think before I walk. Something I admit never doing in my whole life. I am learning to be cautious when I move - to watch my step. Observing my movement and climbing a stairway of steps at the same time can be difficult. Fear of falling can restraint activity almost as much as an actual fall can be disabling. 


Taking one step at a time in life, understanding the challenges and celebrating achievements give opportunity for a happy dance, even a slower one.  

During my day-by-day winter, I remembered the lyrics of “One day at a time.’ and ‘One more step around the world I go’ even though my steps were slower. They encouraged me to think positive and be thankful in all circumstances.   

Blessings,
Donna
Come and visit me at donnamann.org

3 comments:

Peter Black said...

"I will remember the winter of 2016 fondly." FONDLY!? In view of your painful accidents and the measure of limitation they brought, your opening sentence reveals your grateful, teachable spirit, Donna. And oh, what a great guy you've got!
Hmm, as the 'preacher' says in Ecclesiastes 4, "Two are better than one . . . If one falls down, [her] friend can help [her] up." ~~+~~

Donna Mann said...

Thank you Peter. We celebrate 59 years of marriage this year. So he's well practiced. You're right 'two are better than one'. I don't know how I would have managed without his kindness and persistence attention. And I am thankful.

Glynis said...

Not that I ever want to lose the use of my hands but golly gee whiz -delivering meals as you are surrounded by books, computer, music. . .AND he cut your meat. What a sweetie pie. You should consider keeping him! ;)

What wonderful lessons we learn when we are down and out, huh? One is dependency. I will never forget the stone that Dale gave me that said "Trust Me Child. I have it all under control. Love God" How true I keep telling myself that is. When we are still and quiet some wonderful revelations rise up.

You poor, poor girl. But you pulled through wiser and better for the lesson. And thank you for passing it on to us!

Popular Posts