Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Living to Live or Living to Die?

No big surprise. Death is inescapable.

Although not a pleasant thought for most of us - life, as we know it, will one day cease.

We just don't know the day or the time, which is probably a good thing. It is the one event in this world that, without a doubt, will happen. No matter how we try to prolong it, once our time is up, our time is up.

Many of us don't want to think about dying because it puts a whole different perspective on living.

The way I see it, that can be a good thing, though. Well it's a good thing as long as we choose living to live over living to die. There's a difference between living life to the fullest or not bothering because we are going to die anyway.

When I was going through a health trial and I didn't know what the road ahead looked like in the survival department, I was introduced to that popular country song by Tim McGraw - Live Like You are Dying. Great idea as long as living like you were dying includes more joy than dread; more peace than fear; more love than friction.

 

Dread, fear and friction arise from an unsettled heart and a feeling of unworthiness. But the good news is that dread fear and friction can be replaced with joy, peace and love. And I have found, firsthand that when that joy, peace and love stroll hand in hand with faith, death becomes a beautiful thing and something I do not have to fear.

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, 1 John 4:18 a,b

I think it's when faith hits home that you learn to love deeper, speak sweeter, and give forgiveness that you've been denying. After all we will have eternity to contemplate how we lived our life. . .

I am in no rush to leave this world, but if my time is up, no matter how much kicking and screaming I do, it won't matter. I have two choices when it comes to life and death. I can choose to see death as something horrific, formidable and something to fear. Or I can choose to see death as the cessation of life here as we know it - but wait - there's more.

As a believer I have the hope in my Saviour, Jesus, that eternity awaits. Yay! That is my prayer for my entire family and all my friends - in fact, as naive and cliched as it may sound - it's my prayer for the world. 

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” Revelation 21:4

And for some final, parting wisdom, Snoopy shared some profound incite with Charlie Brown.

Charlie Brown: “Some day, we will all die Snoopy!’
Snoopy: “True but on all the other days, we will not.”

How's that for a little motivation to go sky diving or Rocky Mountain climbing or 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu?


I'm in. You? 


Glynis lives, loves, laughs and does an awful lot of reading, writing, publishing and praying in her home office. Her latest children's book - Hopeful Homer offers hope and encouragement to anyone who might find herself in 'the pit'. 



3 comments:

Peter Black said...

Thanks Glynis. You surely speak from experience, your having been close to the threshold and mercifully brought back, to bless us all with the breath of heaven — your thoughtful, hope-filled and joyful expressions of life lived in trusting Jesus. :) ~~+~~

Peter Black said...

I'm back . . . have just listened to Tim MacGraw's song — and what a beautiful, poignant song it is! ~~+~~

Susan Harris said...

I totally relate to what you write, Glynis. I have planned my burial including the outfit, shoes and matching nail polish and lipstick. My family shrinks at the idea but like you, I see it as an inevitability rather than a pessimistic wish or something, and pretty much has catered for it. This is truly a subject that needs to be talked about more openly and without stigma.

Popular Posts