Sunday, April 03, 2016

God: The Re-Creator by Rose McCormick Brandon


The students in my writing class, ranging from thirty-something to seventy-something, have compelling stories to tell. From my perspective, standing at the windows of their souls, I see God as a hero rescuer, running full-speed to save a child from flying bullets, to relieve an adult of trauma. I see Him kneeling by a drunk wounded from a fall after a night of heavy boozing. This fall will be the catalyst that leads him to say, "Things have gotta change." And they do. Over time. As God gently rearranges the man in spirit and body.
"God is writing His story," I tell them, "and He's writing it through you. Your story is a page in His book, a significant page."

Solomon marvelled at four mysteries: The way of an eagle in the air; the way of a serpent upon a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea; and the way of a man with a maid. (Proverbs 30:19)

Solomon's short-sightedness shows. Yes, there's beauty and mystery in nature but, the greatest marvel is how God weaves Himself into the fabric of a human life. With each delicate stitch He re-creates the nature of a person, takes all their loose ends and knits them into a new pattern, something fresh and hitherto unimagined.

I didn't know my students when they were broken, terrified and threatened but their words transport me into their pasts. Their stories show me where they used to be. I see where they are now. 

Oh my, what a difference!

God at work - yesterday, today and tomorrow. Until He comes again and puts a stop to all work, He will continue to gather the damaged pieces of human lives and re-fashion them into works of art. .

God's story has many pages, including one with my name on it. One day, the last page will be written and His book will close. Until then, anyone who wants to can have their story included in His story.

Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written. John 21:25




Rose McCormick Brandon is the author of four books, including, Promises of Home - Stories of Canada's British Home Children. Visit her blogs, Listening to my Hair Grow and Promises of Home. Her books are available at http://writingfromtheheart.webs.com








8 comments:

Lux G. said...

What a beautiful way to describe your experience, Rose. Stories are really like doors/windows to people's lives and souls. And how God is always there in every story, even when some people deny it.

Peter Black said...

Rose, you demonstrate a fifth mystery: "The way of a lovely Rose telling a story" -- whether of a lowly life that has now learned to soar on eagle's wings, a life recovered after being bitten by the serpent of sin or battered between a rock and a hard place, or one who'd been drifting aimlessly on life's sea and tossed about by the storms of life, or one who has learned to love and be loved!
Rose, I praise God for the gift He has given you. Thank you for sharing it so freely. ~~+~~

Glynis said...

Oh the power of story. Well done, Rose. And you know what - shamefacedly, I must admit that I wasn't really that familiar with this powerful scripture in John 21:25. I must have heard it before but today it hit home mightily. You are an amazing storyteller, yourself, my friend! Great post.

Anonymous said...

So true, God is always there . . . when people finally turn around and look they see Him.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Peter - I'm always grateful for your words of encouragement.

Anonymous said...

John 21:25 is one of those compelling scriptures that causes the mind to soar - oh the books that could've been written containing all that Jesus did . . . and does.

Kevin said...

Rose, what an encouraging piece! Everyone has their own unique story. No one can tell it like them. It is God's story shared so it carries on in the hearts of its listeners. On a personal note thanks for inspiring me to share God's story in me with others. I praise God I am being given the opportunity to share "Our Perceived Inabilities Are Abilities" at our church of Evangel Temple in Matheson on May 1st. Please keep me in your prayers that God would use me to inspire many to share their overcoming story.

Carolyn R. Wilker said...

I like that verse too, Rose, and I like your line "takes all their loose ends and knits them into a new pattern, something fresh and hitherto unimagined."

Popular Posts