Monday, March 03, 2008

Why I Love Being a Hockey Mom - Schneider

Being a hockey mom has been one of the most intriguing, exhausting, enjoyable things I've ever done. I've learned almost as much about the game as our son, though he caught onto the concept of "off side" far sooner than I did.

But this year has also been discouraging. Myriad factors have resulted in our team losing almost every game they've played. It's been so hard to watch. And yet, after each game, the little players emerge from the dressing room with big grins. I ask, "Did you have fun?" The response is always, "Oh, yeah!"

Of course, at this time of year, hockey becomes more chore than anything else. We're all tired of the obligatory practices and games, the early mornings at the cold rink, the Sundays interrupted by the need to go cheer for the team. This past weekend was the first round of playoffs, and I could not bring myself to be unhappy at the thought of losing two more games. Two more games, and it would be over for another year. Relief!

Except the team with more heart than skill won both games this past weekend. We parents kept asking one another, "Who are those kids down there on the ice?" They played as a team. They passed. They worked together. They shot at the net, caught rebounds and shot again. And they won. (And I finally figured out what "off side" means.)

Now we face two more weeks of hockey practice, and one more weekend of games. I'm thrilled for our players, yet daunted by the continuing obligations.

How like my writing! I spend days struggling with the words, trying to find the right ones to communicate emotions and scenes. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother. Then just when I'm about to give up, epiphany occurs and the words flow. I reread what I've written, and wonder where it all came from.

That's what I've learned in 20 years of writing (and three years of being a hockey mom). Keep showing up. Keep putting words on the page (and skates on the ice). When you least expect it, it will all come together to amaze you.

1 comment:

Linda Wegner said...

Although I can't even pretend to share your love of hockey (sorry...honestly I am!), I certainly relate to the sense of frustration that can accompany writing. It's the "magic" of teamwork on the ice and the "anointing" of the Holy Spirit on our pages that makes the difference. Great illustration...and may your team win!!

Linda

Popular Posts