Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Important Questions – Lawrence


I feel that, as a writer, one should be able to write on whatever topic one is given and, through knowledge and research, come up with a well-written result. However, with this blogspot, we are not given a topic but have to come up with our own subject matter. Sometimes this is easy, sometimes it is difficult; sometimes one comes up with a number of topics and has to choose one; other times one has to struggle to think of any topic at all—I’m not sure, which is easier to deal with—an overabundance of topics or too few.

As I was preparing to write my March blog for this TWG Blogspot, a number of topics ran through my mind. As I did my afternoon walk, I began to think of the who, what, where, when, and why of essay writing that one goes through when one is scoping out one’s subject matter. In so doing, Jesus’ question to his disciples popped into my mind.

Jesus asked his disciples, “Who do people say that I am?” The disciples said that different people had different opinions. Some thought that he was John the Baptist, others thought he was Elijah, and still others that he was one of the other prophets come back from the dead. Then Jesus asked them, But who do you say that I am?

When all is said and done, it doesn’t really matter to us who other people think Jesus is; in the eyes of Jesus, it only matters who I think he is; and, for each one of the readers of this blog, who you think Jesus is.

Yes, it is important that we do all we can to assist other people to come to Jesus; to proclaim the Gospel; to study the Bible; but, most important of all, I believe that Jesus wants us to have a personal relationship with him and this begins with who each one of us, as individuals, think that Christ is to us.

How will you answer Jesus’ question to you today, Who do you say that I am? Will you say with Peter, You are the Messiah? Will you say with some of the crowd, You are John the Baptist? Or will you give a very personal and unique answer that is indicative of a one-of-a-kind relationship between you and Jesus Christ?

As we meet with Jesus in our special time and place with him today, let us give some careful thought and come up with a special answer to Christ’s question to us, Who do you say that I am?

© Judith Lawrence

Author of Glorious Autumn Days: Meditations for the Wisdom Years; and Grapes From The Vine, Book of Mystical Poetry. Both available at www.lulu.com

Web Site: www.judithlawrence.ca


1 comment:

Linda Wegner said...

Oh so true! Truly knowing Him sets the tone for whatever writing we do. Thanks for the reminder.

Linda

Popular Posts