Me and time, we don't always see eye to eye. I tend to think of time as elastic, bendable to my will. Often, on my way out the door for an appointment, I am convinced that if I wish it, I can squeeze in a quick toss of some clothes into the washing machine, perhaps a hasty phone call and maybe scribble out a quick thank you card for my friend and still get out the door on time. Then as I am flying down the road to my appointment, I wonder why I am late. I am thankful that I live out in the country and that I have a 20 mile drive over highways to make up for time wasted. I know this is no way to live and each year one of my resolutions is to allow for enough time. It still surprises me that a procrastinator like myself has managed to meet the multitude of deadlines associated with each book. The initial deadline of delivery, the deadline of broad edits, the deadline of line edits, the deadline of galley edits, the deadline of cover copy, the deadline of the next proposal and so on and so forth. In spite of the discipline of these many deadlines, I still struggle with the relentless tick of the clock, the flip of the calendar page. I have listened to time management seminars, bought time management tools, carry a day-timer with me everywhere I go and I still have to deal with the results of procrastination. I don't suppose that will ever completely disappear out of my life. I still have a tendency to see time as my friend. It isn't. It is my enemy. And today, as I look at my day-timer I realize that my relentless optimism vis a vis time is still a struggle. I am 40 pages behind on my current project. And I don't have a twenty mile stretch of road I can speed down to make up for it. I do, however, have weekends and evenings. As long as I don't try to squeeze in too many loads of laundry, phone calls and thank you cards, I might catch up.
Looking for a place to feel inspired and challenged? Like to share a smile or a laugh? Interested in becoming more familiar with Canadian writers who have a Christian worldview? We are writers who live in different parts of Canada, see life from a variety of perspectives, and write in a number of genres. We share the goal of wanting to entertain and inspire you to be all you can be with God's help.
Friday, June 01, 2007
Time Management - Aarsen
Me and time, we don't always see eye to eye. I tend to think of time as elastic, bendable to my will. Often, on my way out the door for an appointment, I am convinced that if I wish it, I can squeeze in a quick toss of some clothes into the washing machine, perhaps a hasty phone call and maybe scribble out a quick thank you card for my friend and still get out the door on time. Then as I am flying down the road to my appointment, I wonder why I am late. I am thankful that I live out in the country and that I have a 20 mile drive over highways to make up for time wasted. I know this is no way to live and each year one of my resolutions is to allow for enough time. It still surprises me that a procrastinator like myself has managed to meet the multitude of deadlines associated with each book. The initial deadline of delivery, the deadline of broad edits, the deadline of line edits, the deadline of galley edits, the deadline of cover copy, the deadline of the next proposal and so on and so forth. In spite of the discipline of these many deadlines, I still struggle with the relentless tick of the clock, the flip of the calendar page. I have listened to time management seminars, bought time management tools, carry a day-timer with me everywhere I go and I still have to deal with the results of procrastination. I don't suppose that will ever completely disappear out of my life. I still have a tendency to see time as my friend. It isn't. It is my enemy. And today, as I look at my day-timer I realize that my relentless optimism vis a vis time is still a struggle. I am 40 pages behind on my current project. And I don't have a twenty mile stretch of road I can speed down to make up for it. I do, however, have weekends and evenings. As long as I don't try to squeeze in too many loads of laundry, phone calls and thank you cards, I might catch up.
Labels:
deadlines,
procrastination,
time,
wasting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Were you raised in a home where resources were scarce and you were taught to not waste anything, but to recycle and reuse whenever possib...
-
By Linda Hall In the past few weeks, romance novels have taken a hit. Entire blogs have been devoted to the fact that Christian romance nove...
-
Jeremiah 29:11: “ For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord , “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give...
-
by Linda Hall If you haven't seen the “Which Downton Abbey Character Are You?” quiz, you soon will. It’s all over Facebook. Being a...
-
My Beloved and I finally broke free from the heavy, slow molasses that clung to and characterized our driving experience through much of ...
-
Charles Reaper Between 1869 and 1939, more than 100,000 children immigrated to Canada from England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. More...
-
When writing non-fiction, it’s always helpful to use quotes that not only inform but touch the reader’s heart. In writing the stories of...
-
Just past the turn of last century, during the most productive of my freelance writing career, following God's pointing finger to ...
-
Our coordinator suggested that in our April posts on this blog site we might “write a post about who we are and what we write. . . . [and w...
-
I’m not a Scrooge. If you drive by my house you will see the Christmas swag on my front door and planters filled with decorations. I love...
1 comment:
Time is precious. I can relate I did the same thing and wondered why I was late all the time.
http://thetimemastery.com
Post a Comment