Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sin Stinks

by Glynis M. Belec


Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the Lord." - and you fogave the guilt of my sin. Psalm 32:5

My nose crinkled at the horrible smell. Instead of diminishing, it seemed to be getting worse. Each time I walked into the living room it hit me head on.

"What stinks?" my sweet hubby of few (yet to the point) words, asked as he followed me.

It had been almost 24 hours since I started to notice something was amiss in the aroma department. I had done my best to rid the room of the permeating odor. I'd scrubbed and wiped and sprayed the furniture, the carpet, the curtains. Nothing seemed to help.

"Go get the carpet deodorizer and spread some around," my dearly beloved suggested as he departed for sweeter smelling territory.
I sprinkled the white powder liberally on the carpet. Soon it smelled like a bouquet of fresh roses. I smiled hoping it would last.

It didn't. The stink was back.

Where was it coming from? I had had it. I determined I wasn't going to leave the room until I had located the source of the untoward aroma. I looked in every corner of the living room. Nothing. Feeling a little frustrated I started lifting up pillows and looking under furniture. Then I spotted it. I let out a shriek and dropped the blue velveteen pillow. The thing didn't move. Neither did I. Curious, I edged nearer. For a few moments I stared, trying to figure out what I was looking at. Finally I recognized the slightly chewed, marrow-filled bone. 
Chloe. I should have guessed. I remembered putting the bone from the roast in Chloe's dog dish. Usually she would carry it outside when she was let out. She would either approvingly lick and gnaw or she would go bury her treasure for later. As I stopped to think about it I realized I never saw Chloe depart with the bone. But she had buried it - right under the pillow on the back of my couch - two days ago! No wonder the air freshener and carpet deodeorizer hadn't been able to get rid of the smell; the source was still present.

Sin is like that. Whenever we do something wrong, we feel bad. It's like having that rotting bone in our pocket. No matter how hard we try to conceal or cover up our sin, sooner or later it surfaces. It stinks.
Sin, no matter how hard we try to conceal it, remains a consuming part of our lives. The repulsive odour of sin can only be eliminated by the shed blood of Jesus Christ. He bore our sins that we can smell sweet as we bow before the throne of God.



God of all creation, as we consider the atoning sacrifice that Jesus made for us, we ask for discernment. Help us to rebuke in Christ's name, the temptations that Satan so deviously sets before us. Thank you that we can confess our sins to You and help us to never try to cover up our offenses. AMEN

2 comments:

Peter Black said...

Glynis, I really identify with your story -- as one blessed (or afflicted?) with a sensitive olfactory sense! A very apropos application. Thank you for this lesson -- one that has revisited and helped me over the years.

Janet Martin said...

I'm so glad His compassions never fail, they are new every morning!

How easily we are deceived into believing 'a little sin' is okay? It's stench is just as offensive.
Great write!

Popular Posts