Thursday, June 10, 2010

Guest of the World - Lawrence


(I wrote this prose poem in 2001 and share it with you today.)

As a guest of the world I want to see all its beauty; when I return to heaven I will tell of the white purity of snow, the delicate pastels of spring blossoms, the deep blue of the summer sky, the flaming reds and golds of autumn.

As a guest of the world I want to hear all its sounds; when I return to heaven I will tell about the sound of ocean waves crashing to the shore, the song of birds, the baby’s cry, the howl of wolves, the eerie night song of the spring peepers.

As a guest of the world I want to savour all its tastes; when I return to heaven I will tell of the sweetness of honey, the refreshing tang of an orange and the sour sharpness of lemon. I will describe the burning heat of chili peppers and the juicy delight of grapes from the vine.

As a guest of the world I want to touch all its textures; when I return to heaven I will tell of the roughness of a tree’s bark, the velvet softness of a cat’s fur, the prickliness of a rose’s thorns, and the sting of a nettle.

As a guest of the world I want to smell all its scents; when I return to my heavenly home I will tell of the heady perfume of lilacs, the warning odour of a skunk, the smokiness of a wood fire, the moist earth after rain.

When I return to heaven I will tell of the wonders of the earth and the many blessings I was given as its guest. And I will thank the Creator for such an exciting and marvellous place, where I learnt so many new things. And like all weary travelers, however kind the hosts and enchanting the country, I will be glad to be home and give thanks for my safe return.

3 comments:

Peter Black said...

Delightful. At once sensually pure and spiritually poignant!
Thank you for this bouquet, Judith, from your rich experience of nature's wonder, and the reminder that our greater belonging is of the heavenly order.

Janet Sketchley said...

"A guest of this world" -- what a great reminder, Judith, and I love your strong images and sensory details.

Peter said it better than I, so I'll just add "I agree!"

Judith Lawrence said...

Thanks, Peter and Janet, Always good to get a comment or two. I appreciate your kind thoughts and words.

Popular Posts