©Linda Wegner
THE BEAUTY OF DIVERSITY
For the past three weeks I’ve been a participant in Diversity Conversations, a pilot project designed to address discrimination in all its ugly forms. It’s been a challenging yet meaningful time as five of us, plus two facilitators, looked at our individual biases. The diversity of our backgrounds alone provided fodder for discussion: there were two Jewish participants, two government employees, someone from a mixed marriage and an evangelical Christian. Our discussions have been intense yet we’re unanimous in our condemnation of hatred and discrimination of others who do not look or believe the same as we do.
Yesterday we invited a few friends over for lunch following the morning church service. It was one of those unplanned but thoroughly enjoyed events. During the meal the conversation turned to global economic challenges (what conversation doesn’t these days!). That, of course, turned naturally to the election of President Obama, and quickly shifted to the matter of the election of an African American. Once more the topic of racism and discrimination became the centre of conversation and once again we talked about our individual roles in a society that so easily judges a man or woman by outward appearance.
Through all these times and events the threads of an old Sunday School chorus keeps running through my mind: Jesus loves the little children/All the children of the world/Red and yellow, black and white/They are precious in His sight/Jesus loves the little children of the world.
The questions the ancient sage, Job, asked remain the same: “If I have denied justice…what will I do when God confronts me? What will I answer when called to account? Did not he who made me in the womb make them? Did not the same one form us both within our mothers?” (Job 31:13-15)
God despises injustice. We’d better do the same!
Looking for a place to feel inspired and challenged? Like to share a smile or a laugh? Interested in becoming more familiar with Canadian writers who have a Christian worldview? We are writers who live in different parts of Canada, see life from a variety of perspectives, and write in a number of genres. We share the goal of wanting to entertain and inspire you to be all you can be with God's help.
Monday, February 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I’m not a Scrooge. If you drive by my house you will see the Christmas swag on my front door and planters filled with decorations. I love...
-
In the introduction to Psalms 365: Develop a Life of Worship and Prayer , which will be released later this month, I make this statement, ...
-
Jeremiah 29:11: “ For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord , “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give...
-
In her book The Pregnant Virgin, Marion Woodman tells us that we should not be afraid of change. She says that we should look at the amaryll...
-
The desk in my motel room. Oops, I think I see Facebook on my screen! I have the sweetest hubby ever. Maybe he just wanted a bit of p...
-
Credit: Pngtree.jpg They call him The King of Beasts. His rippling musculature and regal bearing attract the attention and admiration...
-
by Reverend Dr. Ed Hird Life is messy. Family is messy. Marriage is messy. Church is messy. How do we navigate through the complexitie...
-
The 1952 romance/musical, Singing in the Rain was so spectacular that I went to see it twice. The fact that my talented and handsome g...
-
By Linda Hall In the past few weeks, romance novels have taken a hit. Entire blogs have been devoted to the fact that Christian romance nove...
-
As this entry is published, it is twenty-five days until Good Friday. We are approaching the most important festival of the Church year. Som...
No comments:
Post a Comment