Sunday, November 01, 2020

A Cup of Cold Water - Another Perspective on Covid by Eleanor Shepherd

         


       Someone who has really appreciated the opportunities afforded to her by Covid is our feline companion, Belle.  She has been so happy to have her human companions here to do her bidding. As one of my good friends often reminds me about our pets, “Dogs have masters but cats have staff.”

 

                Belle has been so pleased at the service that has been provided for her by her staff during the last eight months.  She has companionship whenever she decides to leave the confines of our comfortable bed and wander into either the office where I work or the desk that has been installed at the end of the dining room where Glen works. She does not hesitate to jump up on the desk and pass her comments about what we are doing and then jump down on our laps for a brief snooze before checking what else is going on in the place.

 

                She has been working at training us to provide her with drinking water in the way that she prefers it. She turns up her nose at water that has been sitting in a bowl for more than five minutes. She even refuses the neat little system that we placed on the bathroom counter for her that holds water that flows into the bowl at the bottom, and replaces any that she has consumed. The problem is that the water level does not go down to be replaced because she refuses to drink from it. Oh no! That may be fine for ordinary cats but Madame Belle prefers to have it straight from the faucet. If that is good enough for her human staff, it will be suitable for her. However, she has not yet discovered how to turn on the tap, so she has had to train these dull witted humans to turn it on for her.


 

                It works this way. As soon as she sees someone heading toward one of the bathrooms, she runs ahead and jumps up on the counter. Then she will begin to make all kinds of noises. I think she figures she is talking to us. What she is saying is: “Please turn on the tap so I can have a drink.  I will let you know when I am finished and you can turn it off again.” So of course, I obediently turn it on for her.

 

                As I think about this, I realize we are talking about an animal and how she gets me to provide water for her. Then I think of all of the millions of people all around the world and even in our own country, who do not have access to clean drinking water and I feel so sad. I am grateful for what I have and I want to figure out how I can help others to have something so basic as safe drinking water.

 



                I think I have figured out a few things that even a retired person like me can do to help. I can write about it like I am doing today. As I have opportunity, I can contribute to the work of those who are using their effort to make it possible for others to have water. Finally, I can pray that those around me will also contribute in whatever ways they can so that many others may have that cup of cold water that Jesus us told us we were offering to Him when we give it to someone who needs it.


                I am glad the cat is such good company during Covid and that she reminds me too of some other important things that I need to remember

Word Guild Award 
2018
Word Guild Award
2009
Word Guild Award
2011


1 comment:

Peter Black said...

What a Coo-oo-l Cat! Thanks Eleanor, for raising a smile in the midst of the seriousness and gloom that are so prevalent during these pandemic days. It's interesting how your companion pet makes her preferences (erm, maybe 'demands') known.
Your application point is well made about providing safe drinking for others. ~~+~~

Popular Posts