Friday, December 21, 2018

Christmas Nostalgia by Carol Ford

I'm sure I'm not alone when I tell you that Christmas brings back many memories of times past; some are sad and others makes us laugh.

Cooking my first Christmas turkey was one of those times. My husband was doing the carving when he exclaimed, "What's this?" His knife had come in contact with a small white bag tucked inside the bird. This brought all the family around. I blushed and backed away. The bag contained, what I quickly learned from my mother-in-law, something called giblets (the turkey's liver, heart, kidneys and gizzard).  Yep. Up until this time, I had only cooked small chickens and didn't know about the special packaged tucked in the bird to embarrass new brides. We removed the 'foul' object and ate the bird anyway.

A word like poignant comes to mind as I place my Christmas ornaments on the tree. I handle each one with reverence and love. They remind me of my children when they brought home simple crafts and helped spark excitement for the holiday. Some take me back to my own childhood and missing parents and family. Many of them conjure thoughts of other homes or our family excursions to cut down a tree.

The angel I put on the top of my tree gives me trouble every year. She wobbles and tilts till I feel weak from stretching to fasten her securely. She's an angel; you'd think she'd cooperate!

And then there's the music of the season. Songs like I'll be home for Christmas make me ruminate over my family who are living far away. My son's family now lives 5000 km from us, and although we know they are happy in their new home, we miss them. We will have to settle for a Facetime this year.

 What Child is This? is a song that makes me ponder the first Christmas day and the special arrival of baby Jesus. This is a memory that brings feelings of wonder and thankfulness. "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Nostalgia is not a bad thing. Yes, we may shed a few tears, but Memories are timeless treasures of the heart.  Let's embrace them this year as a special Christmas gift of a life lived.



Carol Ford - published author, speaker

I was born on Christmas day and my friends surprised me with a birthday party this year.
 

 Carol combines her background as a corporate trainer and her Christian faith in her writing and speaking. She writes articles for local newspapers, Christian magazines and on-line webinars.  She has two short stories published in the Hot Apple Cider series -  My Mother’s Gift and My Forever Home 1948.
As the Ink Flows: Devotions to Inspire Christian Writers & Speakers
Carol speaks on the topic of her adoption and birth family reunion, and shares God’s blessings and protection throughout her life. She loves spending time with her four grandchildren and lives in Newmarket with her husband Allan.




2 comments:

Peter Black said...

Ah yes, Carol, I think that nostalgia is a worthy companion for Christmas, and the older we get and with every Christmas that comes around, nostalgic moments can become ever more poignant. I don't think that nostalgia necessarily conflicts with the joy of celebrating our Lord's birth, but I do reckon that both nostalgia and poignancy lend depth to it. ~~+~~

Carol Ford said...

Thanks, Peter, for your comments. We have full snow happening as I write. Turkey is in the oven, because I can't do it all in one day. Blessings. Carol.

Popular Posts