Thursday, April 12, 2018

Blooming Writers By Ruth Smith Meyer


Recently, I was asked to help a group of interested people begin a new writers’ group in our town.  Many of those attending have dabbled in writing, one was involved in an on-line group where they shared their stories or poems, but all were eager to become more intentional with their writing. 


The first evening, I took a few articles to set on the table around which we sat. I introduced them to the “Hot Pen” method, where you begin to write whatever comes to mind when you look at an article and just let it flow.  Everyone was amazed at how many different themes could come from one article. They fell in love with that burning pen as they call it.  We have continued this exercise—sometimes it’s from an article, sometimes it’s a given sentence, sometimes a hint of a theme, but always we are astounded all over again what different writing comes from the same cue.


One writer, no matter what the prompt, is inspired to write her musings in poetry, one always finds a way to give her reflection an odd twist with a sense of humour, one seems each time to find a life lesson and still another evokes tender memories from the past that moves all our hearts.


On reflection, I believe that is one big reason I like reading so much—to see things through others’ eyes; to get another point of view; in other words, to widen my horizons. 
Similarly, I like to write to let others see what I see, to present how I understand the world around me, how I experience life.  When my writing begins a conversation—either to identify with me or to challenge me, then I feel deep satisfaction.


In the writer’s group to which I’ve belonged for many years, critique has been a valuable support and growing opportunity for me. At first there were some who almost shook with fear when we began to critique each other’s work.  It felt to them as though their work was being torn apart. I think we all would miss it now if we had no opportunity for that.  

With the new group, it seems too early for critique.  First they need to become comfortable with writing and sharing. It’s still all so new. They’re still discovering the beauty of putting their thoughts into words and sharing it with a small group of people with whom they feel safe.


 It warms my heart to see these new writers opening up to bloom, one petal at a time.







Ruth Smith Meyer is a writer/inspirational speaker who enjoys life and all its challenges.  Currently she is writing a history of her church.

She invites all to visit her at her website:  www.ruthsmithmeyer.com










1 comment:

Peter Black said...

Thanks Ruth. The object / article prompt is certainly a great way to kick-start people into writing. Many a time over the years I've sat down at the computer keyboard not knowing what to write about; however, the sense of commitment (and pressure) to fill that weekly spot in the paper has often caused me to send up a prayer yelp; namely "Help!" And, I've always gotten a start.
I'm sure you feel rewarded when you see your beginner writers making progress and becoming enthused about writing.~~+~~

Popular Posts