Saturday, April 22, 2017

Learning Discipline through Blogging


“Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.” (1 Peter 4:10)
Today’s topic is the title of a devotion written by Melony Teague.  It is one of ninety devotions in As the Ink Flows: Devotions to Inspire Christian Writers & Speakers. The writing prompt asks: “Do you blog? If not, consider creating a blog as a form of self-discipline in your writing life. If you do already have a blog, how can you better use it as a tool to establish the habit of writing daily?”

Mel’s prompt encouraged me, and fellow author Claudia Loopstra, to jot down the benefits of consistent blogging.

We came up with seventeen; can you help us reach twenty?


A blog can:
1.       Honour God
2.       Be a forerunner to a book
3.       Provide personal accountability
4.       Stretch our minds and spirit daily/ weekly
5.       Share our spiritual gifts
6.       Be a witness to others
7.       Hone our writing skills and vocabulary
8.       Improve our ability to write concisely (300-500 words for a topic)
9.       Market our published works
10.   Create a ‘brand’ for our writing
11.   Highlight other authors and their  published works
12.   Share information
13.   Encourage  others to start the habit
14.   Provide conversation starters and comments
15.   Develop our ‘voice’
16.   Build relationships
17.   Become a published article

6 comments:

Tracy Krauss said...

These are excellent reasons to blog. Great list!

Carol Ford said...

Thanks, Tracy. We found the exercise inspiring. In fact, I was trying to convince Claudia to blog on this site one day a month.

Glynis said...

Good thoughts, Carol. Another good reason to blog (at least for me) is so that I can refer back months or years after to assess how/if I have grown and what my emotions were about a particular subject. Like an online journal.

Carol Ford said...

This is so true, Glynis. When we read our own writing, it often reveals truth that we often can't or don't admit to ourselves. Thank you for this monthly opportunity to share thoughts.

Peter Black said...

Thanks Carol. Yes, These are really good reasons to blog. Although I've not been servicing my own site for some time, my monthly posting to this blog has definite benefits. It provides a writing outlet and keeps me in touch and in community with fellow writers. Also, as Glynis indicates, blogging provides a means for checking back and assessing personal growth over time. ~~+~~

Wendy L. Macdonald said...

Thank you, dear Carol, for reminding me why I blog and for giving me new reasons to keep at it. I especially love the relationships I've built with other bloggers and readers.
Blessings ~ Wendy

Popular Posts