Friday, September 20, 2013

Importance of a Get-Away/MANN

Everybody should take a break from the stress and anxiety of the work-a-day world. It's important to do this at your busiest time when you argue, "But, I just can't get away." Recently I took two days away, while waiting for the next predictable deadline. Although I kept myself available for incoming emails, as I knew other people needed continued contact, I managed to balance the unknown of what was to come with what is present and known.   


A member of our writing group invited the group to her family cottage on Lake Huron. This was to be a writing-retreat and our host expected us to produce enough writing mid way through the second day to read to the rest of the group during the afternoon. Not everyone in our group was able to come, but those of us who attended worked hard and read at the end of the time.
The recent death of our 18-year-old cat (friend and companion), several personal health problems plus pressing writing commitments weighted heavily on my mind. Although still within my deadlines, I knew that peace of mind was imperative to meet my obligations. As I drove to the lake, my cell phone thumped several times with calls and texts, causing me to stop on the side of the road to respond. All of this convinced me that taking a break in the middle of a busy time is good common sense in order to return to the waiting work with a fresh mind.
I sat on a bench watching the water in Lake Huron respond to an incoming storm, I thought how like life this was. We rise to the low-pressure systems in our every-day life, tumble and stretch in surprising ways to resist or surrender. To absorb the quiet and stillness of the afternoon sun, listen to the lapping of waves against the shoreline rocks, and then within the hour experience the roar and fury of creation as massive waves stand tall, far from shore, and then rush to the shore to claim the same space only hours later.
 Does this not remind me of the clamour and silence in my spirit, and give me the message that this too shall pass? Soon the lake settles to gentle waves again, the moonlight washes the millions of ripples as far as I can see. A new day will come, maybe with another weather system that disturbs the quiet or contributes to the promise of sun rays and gentle breezes.
What is certain is a promise to pause, notice and reflect as a gift worthy of enjoying and savouring God's goodness enough to move sufficiently back into the busyness of life.
Blessings,
Donna
http://www.donnamann.org


2 comments:

Peter Black said...

Thanks for sharing your refreshing thoughts, Donna. The parallels drawn from your observations of nature while on your retreat are so true to life.
You remind me of the need and benefit of being still / ceasing from busyness and knowing God, and re-centering on Him (something I easily overlook). ~~+~~

Donna Mann said...

Thank you Peter. Yes, isn't it so true? Too often I say, "I don't have time," and yet it is exactly at that time, that I need to stop, be still and listen. Blessings to you.

Popular Posts