Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Will they know? - CARLETON

 “They will know we are Christians by our love, by our love, yes, they will know we are Christians by our love"

Cj CarletonThat phrase has been going through my head a lot lately. What does that phrase mean? First of all, who is "they"? It could be referring to non-Christians or as some would like to call them "pre-Christians". Or maybe "they" are anyone we come into contact with on a daily basis. So that makes we wonder, do people I come into contact with know that I am a Christian? Did the very patient lady at Superstore today know that I am a Christian? Should I have preached to her, so that she would know? Of course not! What does that lyric say again, by our love? How did I show Christ's love to her today? Good question.

As I ran around town today doing errands with both girls in tow, how did I share/show God's love for the people I came into contact with? I don't think I did very well today. Actually, to say I blew it would probably be good way to describe my behaviour today. Which I am thankful that I am now recognizing and I can try to do better tomorrow.

I am the role model of this for my girls. Well, my husband is as well, but since we have two daughters, it will be more from me. So what did I teach my daughters today about showing Christ's love to people? Not very much! Thank God, I have tomorrow. We have to make a conscious effort of how we are going to choose to behave and what we choose to represent, or who we want to represent.

When I was in the modelling industry we were told that before we ever left the house to look in the mirror and evaluate if we were representing ourselves and our agency appropriately as models. Now when I wake up in the morning and I am looking at my reflection in the mirror I think I need to be asking a better question. “Am I going to choose to represent Christ today?” When I come into contact with “they” will “they” know that I am a Christian by my love? I hope and pray that tomorrow will be a better day!

front cover 

Cj Carleton is the 2008 Canadian Christian Writing Award winner for her first book “What Makes You Unique? Discover the Truth or Believe the lie”.  Learn more about Cj by visiting www.cjcarleton.com You can also connect with her on Twitter or Facebook.

2 comments:

Dolores Ayotte said...

Tomorrow will be a better day...you know why? You are prepared to "walk the talk".

You have recognized exactly what the meaning of being a Christian is all about and you have made a definite decision to emulate Christ.

You have made every effort to be aware and now you will give it your best shot. Christ does not ask for more than that even when you come up short.
Great article! :)

Peter Black said...

Cj, you've taken a very personally transparent approach, and presented a clear message; and it's applicable to all of us who "name the name of Christ."
Dolores' comment reflects it so well.
Thank you.

Popular Posts