Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Time for Everything (An Interpretation) - Atchison

There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven…
(Ecclesiastes 2:20 3)

We forget. That life has seasons for every activity, for every experience. We forget that there is a time to be born and indeed, a time to die. We live each day without thought there may be no tomorrow. Sure, we dream, we plan, we look to the future – in some cases it gives us hope. But do we live for today? For what is important now. For what matters most?

The sudden loss of my brother-in-law this last month has had me looking at my past, my present and my future. There is a saying that says, yesterday is gone, and tomorrow hasn’t happened yet, so all we have is today.

Today a baby is born and today it’s someone’s time to die.
Today we plant, and we harvest.
There is no time to kill today, but my healing starts one step at a time.
While the walls of Haiti and Chile have been torn down, today is their time to rebuild.
Today I weep and laugh as I struggle with my grief.
While I mourn the loss of a family member, today I dance to the sound of nature in my backyard.
Today my thoughts are scattered. I’ll gather them during a quiet time.
I embrace those around me who need it, but know when to refrain and give them space.
I search for answers, but while I might not find them I give up.
I keep those memories that make me happy and throw those away that make me sad.
My family is torn upside down today, but we will mend.
Today I am silent with my emotions, but know when the time comes I will be brave enough to speak my feelings.
Today is the time to love my family and friends, the beautiful day and sunshine that falls upon my face. I have not time to feel hatred towards the situation.
Today while war rages, I seek peace in the world.

Today is all we have. Take the time to put a smile on the face of a stranger, for you know not what they are feeling inside. It could be they are in pain; perhaps they have lost a loved one and are dealing with grief today.

Today I send my love to all. God Bless.
Patricia L. Atchison

Website: www.patricia@patriciaatchison.ca
Writing & Publishing Blog: www.aboutwritingandpublishing.com

3 comments:

Dolores Ayotte said...

I enjoyed your article Patricia. My condolences on the loss of your brother-in-law.

Peter Black said...

Finding pause and hope in the midst of pain and heartache, Patricia. Thank you for sharing. May you and your loved ones be comforted in the love of our Heavenly Father.

Brian C. Austin said...

Very moving and honest, Patricia. I found it fascinating, and painfully familiar as you move through a whole range of emotions, mixing in confusing ways.

Thanks for sharing -- and for finding places of joy -- even in the pain.

Popular Posts