Thursday, June 03, 2021

A Modern Parable by Rose McCormick Brandon

 Two young evangelists attended a conference in Florida where respected teachers expressed doubt in the veracity of the Bible. This created doubt in the minds of the men. One left evangelism, returned to his home country and began a career in journalism.

The other also returned home. He re-read Paul’s message to his apprentice, Timothy, where he states that all scripture is inspired by God. He recalled that Jesus quoted scripture many times, including from the creation story, which was the portion of scripture most under scrutiny (Matt. 19:4-6).

“I walked out in the moonlight, my heart heavy and burdened. I dropped to my knees and opened my Bible on a tree stump. ‘Oh God, I prayed, there are many things in this book I do not understand. But God, I’m going to accept this book as your word by faith. I’m going to allow my faith to go beyond my intellect and believe that this is your inspired Word.’ From that moment on I have never doubted God’s Word.”*

The man who left evangelism was Charles Templeton. He became editor of The Toronto Star and a frequent guest on Canadian television. He espoused the arguments of skeptics and wrote a book sadly titled, Farewell to God. The second man was Billy Graham. After his faith crisis he became more confident in preaching the Bible. Thousands follow Jesus today because of his commitment to scripture. He too wrote books, each one based on scripture. 

Paul reminded the Corinthian believers that the Church of Christ is like a house (I Cor. 3:11). A defective foundation affects the whole structure. When a person, or church, loses their commitment to biblical authority, its foundation crumbles. Windows that should let in the fresh breath of God’s Spirit no longer open. Doors that should lead to the knowledge of the Savior hang purposelessly on rusted hinges.

True believers trust the Bible, teach the Bible and live according to its precepts. 

All scripture is given by inspiration of God.” 2 Tim. 3:16

One person put it this way: Where the Bible is not believed the church speaks with a stutter. 

The stories of these two men read like a modern-day parable that illustrates the necessity of building our faith on Jesus and His Word (Acts 2:36). One man’s faith crumbled. The other man’s grew stronger. Our lives are parables too. Let your legacy be that you believed the Bible is the Word of God and that it is a gift from Him to all humanity.


Prayer: Thank you for your inspired Word. 


No comments:

Popular Posts