Wednesday, July 01, 2020

CANADA DAY 2020 REFLECTION by Eleanor Shepherd

           
As a child growing up in Vancouver, I used to love to say that I lived in the third largest city, in the third largest country on the third largest continent in the world.  To me it was an intriguing idea to have all of these thirds. I had no ambition to live in the largest city, or in the largest country or on the largest continent. Like Goldilocks, for me, what I had was just right. 
            Now, having living in the three largest cities in Canada, we chose to settle in one that reflects some of the diversity that marks our country. It is a place where the aboriginal inhabitants have been joined initially by French and English speaking peoples, and with the years immigrants from many other parts of the world, as the word got out what a good place to live this is.  
As an adult, and particularly during the last fifteen to twenty years, I have had occasion to travel and live in many other locations, on another continent, living in Europe and visiting other exotic places like Africa, South America and Australia.  My conclusion is still that where I live is the best place for me. 
            During the pandemic that we have been living this year, that conviction has been confirmed as I have seen the way that we have been so well able to survive and even thrive in some ways as our way of life was completely interrupted. Unlike many other places, we have had resources that are now making it possible for us to experience something of a return to what is familiar. Once again on this day when we celebrate our country, I feel so fortunate that I was born and have spent so much of my life in such a wonderful place.  

            I am aware that there are things we need to change to make this a better country. I am encouraged to realize that many people in our country share my desire for us to become more just and kind and considerate of others. Of course we will make mistakes in our desire to bring about a different future. We are imperfect people. Yet our efforts will encourage others to try new ways to make their dreams realities as well. We continue to try to make amends for the ways those who have gone before us have erred. At the same time we need the humility to hope and trust those who come after us will make up for our shortcomings.  


            Gratitude overwhelms me when I watch my granddaughter make a poster of herself and her best friend who happens to be brown skinned. This seems the right place for me when I see her heading out with her mother wearing their Covid-19 masks and carrying her placard to show their support for the changes that we need to make so that all Canadians will be treated justly. 

            During the time of isolation from others, I have been thrilled as I take my daily walk along the lakeshore at the opportunities to exchange at the appropriate social distance greetings with my neighbours.  In our polite Canadian style we take turns moving into the street or on to a grassy area or driveway to allow each other room to avoid contact, practicing the social distancing we have learned is important to protect each other. In a country where we do not live crowded together on top of each other we have such a luxury.  
            On this Canada Day, I am aware of the manner in which I am favoured by living in such a remarkable country. My prayer for our country is expressed well in the final verse of our national anthem: 
Ruler supreme, who hears our humble prayer,
Hold our dominion in Your loving care;
Help us to find, O God, in You
A lasting, rich reward,
As waiting for the Better Day,
We ever stand on guard.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.


Word Guild Award
2011

Word Guild Award
2009
Word Guild Award
2018

1 comment:

Peter Black said...

I appreciate this tribute to Canada, Eleanor. May and I are grateful that this country welcomed us and our family forty-six years ago. Your granddaughter and her friend's working together is beautiful expression of the best side of the Canadian spirit. Thanks for sharing the hymn verse of *O Canada.* Our congregation includes it on or around Canada Day. ~~+~~

Popular Posts