Sunday, May 12, 2019

Pre-Launch Jitters, But it All Worked Out


Reading from my book

my launch flyer created by one of the Tavistock Library staff



The night before my book launch, I had everything ready to load in the car—boxes of books, my notebook to record sales, reading copy with pages marked, several pens for signing (in case one quit), a tablecloth for my book table, and my book rack. I fell asleep easily, knowing those things were ready to go.
I woke close to two a.m. with some sore muscles and my mind whirling. What if people don’t show up who said they were coming? This was our home town audience with friends from the city coming too. The editor of the weekly newspaper had indicated his willingness to come too.
Eventually I went back to sleep. The morning of the event, I signed the whole lot of books that I was taking along; I could personalize any as requested. We were ready with time to spare. My husband had his favourite little camera ready, and the tripod. We set out for Tavistock.

From Oxford County Library

We arrived early. The library was fairly quiet as I set up my rack and books. I waited near the door so I could greet my guests as they arrived. It was getting close to 11, and no one was there yet except the library staff and a few other patrons. I felt like a kid at a birthday party, waiting for her friends to arrive. But this was after all a Saturday morning, a day when people want to go a little slower. 
Where are they? I wondered. Close to 11, people started to arrive, in singles, in twos and small groups. Our eldest daughter, son-in-law, and two happy little children arrived, the small ones showing me a truck and a doll they’d brought along. Their smiles told me they were pleased to be in this interesting place.

We started a little late and more people trickled in. One guest had to leave at the end of my first reading. More came and the chairs filled. The children played in the house centre during the readings. I needn’t have worried for those who planned to be there had come.

A pleasing place for a book launch

The reading went well, allowing for people to reflect on what I’d read, or laugh when there was a place of humour. My husband took a video and my publisher, Glynis Belec, of Angel Hope Publishing, had her cell phone poised. Then the editor of the weekly paper, Tavistock Gazette, arrived about the end of my question and answer time. I hoped I had answered people’s questions to their satisfaction when I was called away for a special photo with the librarian.
During the social time, we had more conversations. Deb Schurink, Chief Librarian, and her staff  had set out an attractive table of refreshments for guests to enjoy. I signed and sold books and enjoyed the company of those who had come. Our family was waiting for us over at Quehl’s. We’d have lunch together before heading home. 

shelves behind me had interesting items on them too

I was pleased with the way the event had gone and that my guests seemed to enjoy themselves, pleased too with the varied supporters and the library staff who prepared for the launch. Thank you to all who came to make it such an enjoyable launch.

Carolyn Wilker
 Photos and video by Glynis Belec and the Oxford County Library. Thank you.

1 comment:

Peter Black said...

Ah, you needn't have worried, Carolyn - you've been there (at such events) before; you're a pro! :) It's great that you had family and Glynis's and library staff support - and an appreciative (and buying!) audience, too. ~~+~~

Popular Posts