Sunday, March 03, 2019

Weird and Wonderful You by Rose McCormick Brandon


At an introspective stage of my life, I learned a valuable lesson. The lesson came to me in stages, but an important part of it came from a personality evaluation.  I discovered a tweaked version of the Myers-Briggs Personality Test in "Creative Writing" by Kathryn Lindskoog. She took the original test questions and appropriated them to writers.

Taking that test helped me to better understand who I am and accept some of the things I don't like about myself. I don't mean that I accept my tendency to sinful habits. I mean that we're born with characteristics that tend not to change. For example, having a shy, sensitive nature is like being born with brown eyes or curly hair - these traits seldom change. We learn to live with them.

One important thing I took away from the personality test was that I am a bona-fide introvert. This means that I get my energy from quietness. The majority of personalities energize from interaction with others. While I'm not too bad at socializing and love good conversation, this introvert label helped me better understand a few quirky things about myself.

I used to feel apologetic about my need for time alone. I didn't know that I was born with this need even though I was aware of it as a small child. I thought myself defective, lacking in some unnamed but essential element. 

When I read of those who write books while raising half a dozen children or people who run organizations while keeping up a full calendar of other activities, I sometimes feel inferior, but only for a moment. I could never live that life.

The same God who etched our finger tips in unique patterns (these are formed at the tenth week in the womb – isn’t that amazing?), the One who gave each of us vocal chords that produce unique sound waves, eyes, teeth, ear lobes and numerous other features that no other being on the planet possesses, has also gifted us with differing personalities.

Man-made tests show only a few personality variations but God see them a plentiful as the stars.

God helps us to understand ourselves and to accept the things about us that we can't change.

The Lord loves weird and wonderful you. Be yourself for His glory!
I will give thanks to You; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made . . . Psalm 139:14

Prayer: Lord, I acknowledge that I'm part of your amazing creation - me, in all my weirdness; me, in the depths of my heart where no one can see but You. 
***
Rose McCormick Brandon writes books, articles, biographies and Bible lessons from her home in Caledonia, Ontario. She's married to Doug, has three adult children and three grandchildren. Rose is the author of One Good Word Makes all the Difference, Promises of Home - Stories of Canada's British Home Children, Vanished, He Loves Me Not He Loves Me. She presently knee-deep in writing a daily devotional book. 



1 comment:

Peter Black said...

Rose, I enjoyed and appreciated reading this reflective view of yourself. Yes, we are indeed "fearfully and wonderfully made" and represent such a diverse range of personalities.
I'd say that I was getting into my senior years before I came to more fully understand myself and discover a truly settled sense of comfort within 'my own skin.' . . . Rather liberating, really. Writing, I'm sure, can help in self-discovery and realisation. Thanks for the pleasant pique.~~+~~

Popular Posts