Thursday, September 29, 2016

Appreciating What Once Was/Donna Mann

What is it about fall flowerbeds that absolutely mesmerize me? Is it because the colours are so distinct? That’s possible, but I think there’s more. Maybe it’s because I’ve been so busy during the summer months that I haven’t stopped to admire the flowers.  That I know for sure wouldn’t be the reason as flowers always catch my attention. So it must be something else. Could it be that the fall flowers are naturally more vibrant than those I’ve seen through July and August? That doesn’t strike a chord, either. And what can compare with beautiful hydrangeas, all seventy-five plus varieties?

As I drive along the streets in the small village of Elora, I marvel at the dark green grass, Ivy stretching on sides of homes and manicured lawns sweeping between trees and shrubs. I suspect it’s the same in other places in our county and beyond.

For me, I have come to the conclusion that I have seen the end of summer and soon, I will see the end of the fall season. Knowing
 that the end is in view, regardless of what I am watching or living through, makes me appreciate it more. Soon it will be gone. 

So it is with different areas of life and previous relationships. In some cases, I won’t be able to see that same thing, person, situation in the same context again. There is almost a panic to grasp as much as I can of the moment and savour it like one of Mother’s honey-scones.

Then we hope, beyond anything, that we can remember the memory, so we can give life to the situation for which we lament, again. No, this is not referring to a time for grieving; it acknowledges that life is precious. It is a gift for the living. It comes in different forms, different colours, different cultures and faith expressions. And it is life – enjoy!

Enjoy the fall - it is too short yet a beautiful season.
Blessings,
Donna

A person’s life is like grass— it blossoms like wild flowers, but when the wind blows through it, it withers away and no one remembers where it was. Yet the LORD’s gracious love remains throughout eternity for those who fear him and his righteous acts extend to their children’s children, to those who keep his covenant and to those who remember to observe his precepts.   (Psalm 103: 15-19NIV)

Check out http://www.donnamann.org

3 comments:

Peter Black said...

Fall is likely my favourite season of the year, and I also love the contrasting colours of flowers and changing leaves. I think you're right, Donna, that there is a vibrancy of colour in fall. It may, of course be mostly on account of the contrasts. I appreciate your life application. Yes, fall is a reminder that life is precious. Thanks. ~~+~~

David Kitz said...

Everything is transitory, so we need to appreciate what we have, when we have it. Essentially, that's the message of Ecclesiastes and you did a great job of highlighting that truth. Thanks, Donna.

Bob & Ruth said...

Yes Donna you have captured a great truth. I failed to get any photos of our Christmas this year for I wanted to enjoy every moment without distraction. (Thant and I cant remember where I put my camera)


Thanks for the reminders!

Popular Posts