Friday, August 26, 2016

Attitude Adjustment by Glynis M Belec


    There is so much to be sad about these days. All I have to do is look at family members and friends who are dealing with cancer and heart problems and impending surgery and grief. I get to complain because all this is happening to me and around me.

     My ire can be triggered in a moment if I let it. I watch the news. Murder & crime against our neighbour is on the increase. Families are being torn apart. Children are abused. Men and women are hurt by poor choices and the lies of a society with upside down priorities. I get to get angry and make amends in the way I see fit because all this seems so unfair.

     People make crazy decisions and say too much sometimes. Society teaches us to look out for number one; do what feels good; demand pampering; don't worry about accountability. I get to lash out and my response is justified because that's what retaliation is all about.

     The only problem is when I complain, or get angry or lash out because I think my response is justified I am falling into the same trap and the cycle continues. That's how war happens. I told that to my lovely grandchildren the other day who were trying for a battle of wits - he did this/she said that so I have the right to come to my own defense! And it's true as far as the world is concerned. I am entitled to defense.

     But as a believer in the spilled blood of Christ and the risen body of  my Saviour, Jesus, I think I have it all wrong. So I have to control myself and take another approach.

     Every day I spend in this world is about attitude. I get to open my eyes every morning and choose the way I will approach the day. 

     I love the way Phillipians 2:14-15 says, "Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world."

     I see this lovely bit of Divine instruction, really, as an attitude adjustment. Just when I think I have the right to come down hard on all that is wrong and all that will go wrong and all that has been done to or affected me, God tells me, "Sit down silly girl and think about this."

"And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17

     It's hard to talk about the love of Christ with a furrowed brow and high pitched whining. 

     Can you even imagine what this world would be like if we followed the instruction in those verses in Philippians and Colossians? Don't grumble about a single thing. Work through the bad stuff. Trust God without whining and asking a bunch of questions that have already been addressed by the Maker. Do everything and say everything for God's glory!

     There is sin, plain and simple, in this world. Satan lures and lies and makes people mistrust one another and most of all mistrust and doubt God.


  

  But I, for one, will try my best to choose a better attitude as I toss back the covers each morning and crawl out into another day. Instead of thinking about all the negativity in this world, I think I just might be better off saying something like, "Okay God, I'm going to need you big time today. What's on the agenda? Oh, and thanks for this big ol' breath I'm taking this morning."




***************************************************************************
Glynis lives, loves, laughs and does an awful lot of reading, writing, publishing and praying in her home office. 
Her latest children's book, JESUS LOVES ME WHEN I DANCE, celebrates and shows us that with Jesus Love, we'll never lose! 
www.glynisbelec.com 



1 comment:

Peter Black said...

Thanks Glynis. I think your post dovetails with Heidi's theme of honesty and authenticity - and it is an important one, especially for those of us who bear the name of our Lord.
Those qualities are evidenced by your candour in this piece. I like your thought: "It's hard to talk about the love of Christ with a furrowed brow and high pitched whining." (Those are fun pics and 'bang-on' scriptures, too!) ~~+~~

Popular Posts