Thursday, January 28, 2016

The Joy of Letting it Go (and Getting it Right) by Glynis M. Belec

If you do your best, you will get it right every time.
(Photo by Amanda Belec Newton)
     The other day I caught the tail end of a program on CBC radio. Even though there wasn’t much left of the show, I think I caught the best part. From what I could gather, the story being presented was giving Kudos to a young musician who loved his calling and pursued it with great passion. He not only worked as a musician during the day, but his spare time was spent helping youngsters hone their skills and foster a love for music.

My favourite part of the program was at the end when one of his young charges – she sounded like she was about 9 or ten years old – said this:  “If you do your best you will get it right every time.”
I thought her a wise little Miss for sharing those words. I even jotted them down for reflection.
And reflect I did.

It started me wondering if I have an obsession for ‘rightness’. I have to be my own worst critic. (I think that’s why I find marketing such a chore and downright exhausting some days.) I never think I am ready and I don’t like settling for mediocre. Sometimes I think that my story is never good enough. My house is never clean enough. My presentation never good enough. I do it to myself, though. Maybe self-criticism is a good thing. Maybe it helps me hone my skills and my craft.
Sometimes I just don’t know what to do to make what I am working on better, though. I wouldn’t call myself a perfectionist – well maybe a little – but I wonder if maybe, just maybe I need to realize that I might have already arrived at my best.
Then there are those times when I let it go. I think those are the times when I easily smile and find the most joy and like that little Miss on CBC – actually feel like I have ‘done it right’.

As I ponder this, I keep thinking about the scripture in Romans 12:2 where it says, Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Notice this scripture verse does not say that I should be transformed by the removal of my mind. I need to keep my mind on Jesus and be renewed because of Him.  It’s all about renewal because, now that I think of it, when I became a child of God, my motivation is all about being right according to His will rather than what the world tells me is best.  I find when I pray and find joy in my work, I feel more renewed, refreshed and more keen to continue.  There’s the key!

So I suppose the best thing to do, then, is to pour my heart and soul into the task at hand – whether I am writing, serving, speaking, creating, planning. If I do all that to the best of my ability using my God-given gifts and take the time to enjoy the journey, then I am doing it unto the Lord and that is as right as I can ever hope to be.


Okay, little CBC Miss. I will take your advice and try my very best.  And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.  Colossians 3:17. 
Ha! There’s the key – giving thanks for everything that I do and I will be right every time! By George I think I’ve got it! 
                             
                            By George

                                                  I think I’ve got it!


Glynis lives, loves, laughs and does an awful lot of reading, writing, publishing and praying in her home office. Her latest children's book - Hopeful Homer offers hope and encouragement to anyone who might find herself in 'the pit'. 


3 comments:

Peter Black said...

Love it! Self-criticism (or at least severe self-critiquing) seems to go with many a writer and creative person's territory and temperament. However, you bring it into balance in this delightful piece. Your Scripture choices from Romans 12 and Colossians 3 are among my favourites. ~~+~~

Susan Harris said...

I love reflecting because it generally leads to self improvement if done with an open mind. And a child's wisdom is so relevant. Has been since Jesus' day. Lovely piece, Glynis.

David Kitz said...

Great post, Glynis! “You did your best and you certainly got it right this time.”

Popular Posts