Recently, analyst Victor Davis Hanson observed that, not only is our world changing radically but it is changing radically very quickly.
Nowhere is this more true than in the world of mainstream print media, where legacy organizations are collapsing much more quickly than many of us would have expected, raising the question of—what’s a writer to do? How can a writer make a living?
Especially, how can a student with real writing talent, who aspires to be a non-fiction writer, fulfil the dream? It’s possible, but it requires clear and creative thinking.
First, many who rail against the media get the cause of their problems all wrong: That is, we hear that the media are too left-wing or too right-wing or too shallow or too whatever. Nope.
Well, maybe true, depending on your perspective, but irrelevant.
Historically, media marketed information as well as opinion, and the Internet has now made most information free. As a result, advertisers, who were always the major financial support of most media, are dropping in numbers and willingness to pay, and subscribers are simply going online to find information—including the information from advertisers.
Even oldsters like me are onto this now: If I would like to buy an oil-filled space heater from the local hardware chain, why should I scan the papers, hoping to find it in one of their ads when I can just go to their site and search on “space heaters”?
When I started working on this post, I had one example of mainstream media decline, and then suddenly, two, then three, then four. But first, from Hanson:
Looking for a place to feel inspired and challenged? Like to share a smile or a laugh? Interested in becoming more familiar with Canadian writers who have a Christian worldview? We are writers who live in different parts of Canada, see life from a variety of perspectives, and write in a number of genres. We share the goal of wanting to entertain and inspire you to be all you can be with God's help.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I’m not a Scrooge. If you drive by my house you will see the Christmas swag on my front door and planters filled with decorations. I love...
-
In the introduction to Psalms 365: Develop a Life of Worship and Prayer , which will be released later this month, I make this statement, ...
-
by Reverend Dr. Ed Hird Life is messy. Family is messy. Marriage is messy. Church is messy. How do we navigate through the complexitie...
-
In her book The Pregnant Virgin, Marion Woodman tells us that we should not be afraid of change. She says that we should look at the amaryll...
-
By Linda Hall In the past few weeks, romance novels have taken a hit. Entire blogs have been devoted to the fact that Christian romance nove...
-
Jeremiah 29:11: “ For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord , “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give...
-
As this entry is published, it is twenty-five days until Good Friday. We are approaching the most important festival of the Church year. Som...
-
Credit: Pngtree.jpg They call him The King of Beasts. His rippling musculature and regal bearing attract the attention and admiration...
-
The desk in my motel room. Oops, I think I see Facebook on my screen! I have the sweetest hubby ever. Maybe he just wanted a bit of p...
-
The 1952 romance/musical, Singing in the Rain was so spectacular that I went to see it twice. The fact that my talented and handsome g...

1 comment:
Denyse, the train of the publishing industry is evidently hurtling way faster down the track of massive change than I and many of us would have realized. You've shown us that reality, and that is a heads up.
Thank you.
~~+~~
Post a Comment