Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Confessions of a Type A Christian


Does waiting in a long line kill you; figuratively speaking?
Are you a perfectionist, overachiever, workaholic, or all of the above?
Do you hate wasting time?
Do you often talk over and interrupt people in order to rush the conversation?
Is everything urgent?
These general characteristics describe a typical Type ‘A’ personality.
I’m embarrassed to say, that I have to answer, “Yes, yes, and resounding, yes,” to all these questions. What about you?
I know that God created me and is aware of all my natural tendencies, I also know that..."Christ Jesus died for us and was raised to life for us, and he is sitting in the place of honor at God’s right hand, pleading for us.” [i]
I wonder what that conversation consists of when Christ is advocating for me.

Devine help is available for my frantic need to accelerate. Christ told us, “Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.”[ii]
There it is.   So why do I continue to rush right past my quiet-time spot, head for the coffee machine, climb the stairs to my office,  pick up my to-do list, quickly scan multiple emails, wince as I observe a busy week of calendar appointments, and dive headlong into another hectic day? I try to fight my own battles and juggle priorities in my own strength; all of which causes me to suffer high levels of stress and feelings of defeat.
I say, “I’ll just finish this one task, and then I’ll take time for my devotions.” 
Prayer, for people like me, feels like an interruption instead of a privilege. When I do stop to pray and read the word, I have difficulty not thinking about my long list of current commitments.
I recently was sharing the theme of this blog at my bible study. I asked my group, “How can I finish the article, because awareness is only half of the solution?” Our bible study hostess, a wise and spunky 92 year old woman, said, “Tell them, ‘To be continued.’”
So I will continue to ask our Heavenly Father for the discipline and consistency to stop my frantic ways and look for opportunities to worship and listen to HIS voice.
"Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."[iii]

I’d love to hear from others who struggle with these tendencies.



[i] Romans 9:34b NLT
[ii] Matthew 7:7-8 NLT
[iii] Psalm 46:10 NASV


Carol Ford’s is a co-author of As the Ink Flows: Devotions to Inspire Christian Writers & Speakers and has short story in Hot Apple Cider with Cinnamon. She is a career coach and speaker. 
https://carolfordassociates.wordpress.com/
[i] https://www.facebook.com/As-the-Ink-Flows-Devotions-to-Inspire-Christian-Writers-Speakers-831092453662406/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
[ii] https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/165-2734665-4045514?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=as+the+ink+flows

6 comments:

Peter Black said...

Breathless - yet hardly coming up for air! I identify with you in some (maybe many) respects. Fact is, Carol, in this post you draw me to self-examination and comparison. Type A? In some aspects probably, and yet in others I think my tendency towards procrastination and backing-off runs against the A-Type grain. For me, your scripture and spiritual life applications offer a helpful balance. Thanks. ~~+~~

Ruth Smith Meyer said...

Oh yes! I know whereof you speak! I thought I had learned my lesson years ago, but now it seems I'm having to learn it all over again! Thanks for the reminder and incentive to do something about it. (To be continued! : ) )

Carol Ford said...

Nice to know I'm not alone. Thanks for sharing your feedback. Yes, It is 10:50 p.m. and I'm still finishing promised tasks!

Glynis said...

Good grief. That's me. I hate to admit it but I am a lot like that. I think one of the very best things that my happy hubby and I decided to do - and we should have started this years ago - is to meet in the early morning for tea/coffee and do devotions together. :) It's sometimes a little too early for my liking but once I give my head a shake, brush my teeth and have a sip of Tetley's then I am good to go and starting in the Word has helped me at least begin the day right. If I don't do this then I do exactly what you said - rush by the quiet spot! And that's no good because guilt is added to the pile, then!

I love the advice from the lovely lady - To Be Continued. Perfect. Great post, Carol - confession's good for the soul! :)

Alan Anderson said...

Does waiting in a long line kill you; figuratively speaking?--No
Are you a perfectionist, overachiever, workaholic, or all of the above?--No
Do you hate wasting time?--No--time, for the most part, is never wasted
Do you often talk over and interrupt people in order to rush the conversation?--No
Is everything urgent?--No--very little in life is urgent!

Hi Carol! I don't see myself as a Type-A. It isn't something I strive to attain either. I guess I tend to perhaps be too cautious at times. I still gets things done however. My boss is a definite Type-A yet we work well together. He is uded to me saying things like, "I get what you want me to do but I need time to process things." He knows what I mean now.
You are who God made you. I am who God made me. We can work together as people made in His image and we are "to be continued." :)

Carol Ford said...

Thank you, Glynis for this feedback. I'm enjoying the challenge of the monthly blog. You are a great 'cheerleader' for writers.

Popular Posts