Saturday, February 27, 2016

For the Love Of... by Tracy Krauss

Love. 

It's a word that gets used a lot, but what does it really mean? Love can be a noun - it is a primary emotion, after all - but it's also a verb. It reminds me of that old DC Talk song from the 90s 'Love is a Verb'. (Enjoy a blast from the past and watch the youtube video by clicking the link.) If we say we 'love' someone or something, then we better SHOW it with our actions.
I have no complaints with love in its noun or its verb form. However, issues can arise with its overuse and the varying degrees of affection it represents. I love shoes, jewellery, and eating in restaurants, but this kind of 'love' doesn't come close to the kind of emotion I feel for my family. There are even different kinds of love within this deeper, personal realm. The love I feel for my husband is different than the love I feel for my children and grandchildren, or my brothers and sisters. All of these kinds of 'loving' are strong, but they are different. Similarly, the romantic love I have for my spouse is not the same as the love I have for my church family or my friends. Patriotic love is still another example. And what about my 'love' of writing? I feel pretty strongly about my call to write, along with many of my other creative pursuits. Where do these activities fit into the mix?
The Greeks got it right when they used specific words for each type of love. In the New Testament 'agape' love is used to express the divine love of God - both God's love for us and our love for Him and for one another. 'Phileo' love is the kind of brotherly love we have for a friend. 'Eros' is the romantic love we feel for a spouse. It would be great to have a more specific way of differentiating between my feelings for my husband and a craving for pizza. 
Beyond a few smiles the debate really isn't that significant. Here is what's really important. John 3:16, possibly the most familiar verse in the Bible, says,  “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life." This is agape love at its finest, given to us by God Himself through Jesus' sacrifice on the cross.

Thinking about pizza? Or my husband?
Tracy Krauss is an artist, author, playwright and teacher living and working in northern BC. For more visit her website: http://tracykrauss.com

3 comments:

Peter Black said...

An enjoyable, fun and thoughtful read, Tracy. I like the way you bring it all together, capping it with God's agape love. ~~+~~

Glynis said...

Hahaha! Pizza or Hubby? Love it! Isn't it true how we misuse - or maybe overuse, the word, LOVE! Agreed with your most important point, though! John 3:16!

Lux G. said...

Yes, yes, yes! Love is the most misused or abused word, isn't it? God shows us what it really means. Beautiful.

Popular Posts