Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Most Precious One of All - Meyer

Lately, my life has gotten busy. More than just a little – actually it’s gotten horrendously busy. Just for the short term, mind you. It’ll all settle down again soon. Just some things that have come up unexpectedly that have tipped things over the balance.
And lately, it seems as if I’m having a hard time juggling everything. I’m keeping all the juggling balls in the air but they’re spinning so fast, I’m wondering that if I did drop one, maybe I wouldn’t even notice it until it was too late!
I wish I could remember where I read or heard this because I would like to give credit where credit is due but unfortunately I can’t. And I’m sure that this will be a paraphrase at best. This person had used the juggling balls metaphor and had said that there is only one ball out of all the balls we are juggling that is glass; that one is our family.
I would like to extend this to include all relationships. This precious glass ball that I’m juggling amongst all the wooden ones is my relationships: with God, with my family and with all the other people I encounter every day. Hearts shatter as surely as a precious glass ball does. All the other things in my life can come crashing down (editing deadlines, book launches, manuscripts, housework, laundry, dishes, even blogs!) and I can eventually pick them up again – or do without them. But if in the heat of the moment, I blow up at someone or am just careless about what I say or do, I may have broken something that might not be able to be put back together again.
“Lord, I pray that during this busy season of my life, I will not wound in any way any one of the precious people that I meet during my day.”

Dorene Meyer, author of Deep Waters
“Set in the fictional Ojibway community of Rabbit Lake, Deep Waters will transport you into Canada’s far north for a compelling story of enduring love and sustaining faith.”

No comments:

Popular Posts