Sunday, July 26, 2015

Sweet Success by Glynis M. Belec

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Romans 12:2



   Success. Ah, yes. As writers we all want to be considered successful by the masses. I’m thinking that if I did a survey and asked fifty people to give me a definition of success, there would be quite a few differences, though.

     Is success not defined by conformers of this world, as being measured by the amount of money in a bank account; the number of cars in the driveway; the total vacations in a year, or, in the case of writers, the quantity of books sold? Sometimes I have to be careful that I don't adopt that mindset, too, for it is drilled into me daily via the lure of advertising. 

     Certainly, as writers, though, we want to sell books. That’s one of the reasons most of us put finger to keyboard. And there is no glossing it over – the bills beg to be paid. But as believers, I’m thinking our definition of success needs to take a different form. Surely we write because God has given each of us a unique voice and a distinctive message to share and to glorify Him.

     Of course we would like to have 1000 readers buy our book on Amazon in one week, but what if one person, alone, bought our book and then said, “Thank you. I needed to read that. Your message was exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you. You've changed my life.”

     Wouldn't that be a good and Godly measure of success? I think if we keep in mind that we write for an Audience of One, then our words will touch someone’s heart in an amazing way. And then when that happens, there can be a ripple down effect and lives really can be changed.

     I just finished listening to about 12 different speakers talking about how to sell hundreds of books on Amazon. How to make a six figure income as a writer. How to market and sell, sell, sell so that you can have great victory and climb the ladder of success  (especially if I enrolled in the courses offered later!) I will admit that I gleaned a lot of interesting information and tips from many of the speakers; some encouragement and a few things I might try to implement. But there seemed a void. A bit of a cold focus and I’ve decided that that coldness was a lack of Spirit writing.

     I am certainly not saying I know it all, because I surely do not! Romans 12:2 doesn't tell me that I will be transformed by the removal of my mind! It states that I shouldn't pick the world so that my mind can be renewed by God's golden Word, instead. It’s good to pay attention to things that increase my knowledge but I have to be careful that I don’t chuck aside God’s will in the process.

     Success is obedience to God and is defined (in His eyes) by the fulfilment of His purpose for us. That may involve 5,000 books sold; it may comprise of merely 50. The defining moment is that satisfaction that comes once the God-given words are released on paper and are prayerfully placed before the throne of the King.  Maybe the yield will not be riches or fame, but if I listen and obey and seek to fulfil God’s will with my words, then success will be clear. 

********+*******


Glynis lives, loves, laughs and does an awful lot of reading, writing, publishing and praying in her home office. Her latest children's book - Hopeful Homer offers hope and encouragement to anyone who might find herself in 'the pit'. 

Check out Glynis's bookstore here

2 comments:

Peter Black said...

Thanks Glynis for this encouraging message for those of us who write as wordsmiths desiring to be guided by "The Word" and to be worthy, unashamed workers who correctly handle and apply it (as in 2 Timothy 2:15).
Those are really apropos illustrative pics, and Helpful Homer's cover is beautifully done. ~~+~~

fudge4ever said...

I agree, Glynis. Success is obedience to God like you said! I enjoy writing, selling, and experiencing that little bit of fame when I see my name in print, but as I look back I am most thankful and proud of those moments when somebody said that my writing helped them in some way. Thanks Glynis!
Pam Mytroen

Popular Posts