©Linda Wegner
BEFORE THEY CALL
When I heard the unmistakable sound of our back door being opened, I turned to check the time. It was 2:30am. More stunned than afraid I rolled over in bed and that’s when I heard Grace’s voice: “Are you okay, Mom?”
By now I was up and standing beside our son, Len, and his wife. Again they posed the question: “Are you okay?”
After assuring them that all was well I asked why they thought otherwise. “We just got a phone call from a lady who sounded as if she was very sick. She asked if Len [a registered nurse] could take her to the hospital. We thought it must be you.”
Their concern was legitimate – they’ve taken me to hospital on a number of occasions but this time I had no medical problem. Unfortunately somewhere, someone else did.
We tried to think of who might be calling and then decided the next course of action was to check the telephone’s call display. “A blocked call,” Len told me a few minutes later. “Can you think of anyone else?” After another few minutes of deliberation and prayer together for the one needing help, we gave up and went back to bed.
Legitimate or otherwise, the call took place. Not only that, our willingness to help was real. Over the past few days since it happened I’ve thought about it a lot: Was this a prank call? Was it a wrong number…but if so, why did she ask for a specific person? What was the significance, if any, of the blocked phone number? The questions are many but we’ll probably never know the answers. (The writer in me has come up with several scenarios worthy of a novel, a first for this technical writer.)
In our distress God says: “And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.” (Isaiah 65:24)
Many times I’ve wondered how much of an influence the sentences and paragraphs I string together have had on my readers. Somehow it seems, at least to me, that those who write “Christian” pieces have an easier time of touching lives than I do. After all, how are hearts pointed to Christ by my account of the latest news in a struggling economy?
I don’t know the answer to that but I do know two things for sure: I pray for my readers and God answers prayer. I’ll leave the rest of the puzzle to Him.
Looking for a place to feel inspired and challenged? Like to share a smile or a laugh? Interested in becoming more familiar with Canadian writers who have a Christian worldview? We are writers who live in different parts of Canada, see life from a variety of perspectives, and write in a number of genres. We share the goal of wanting to entertain and inspire you to be all you can be with God's help.
Sunday, January 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I’m not a Scrooge. If you drive by my house you will see the Christmas swag on my front door and planters filled with decorations. I love...
-
In the introduction to Psalms 365: Develop a Life of Worship and Prayer , which will be released later this month, I make this statement, ...
-
In her book The Pregnant Virgin, Marion Woodman tells us that we should not be afraid of change. She says that we should look at the amaryll...
-
Jeremiah 29:11: “ For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord , “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give...
-
Credit: Pngtree.jpg They call him The King of Beasts. His rippling musculature and regal bearing attract the attention and admiration...
-
by Reverend Dr. Ed Hird Life is messy. Family is messy. Marriage is messy. Church is messy. How do we navigate through the complexitie...
-
The desk in my motel room. Oops, I think I see Facebook on my screen! I have the sweetest hubby ever. Maybe he just wanted a bit of p...
-
The 1952 romance/musical, Singing in the Rain was so spectacular that I went to see it twice. The fact that my talented and handsome g...
-
By Linda Hall In the past few weeks, romance novels have taken a hit. Entire blogs have been devoted to the fact that Christian romance nove...
-
As this entry is published, it is twenty-five days until Good Friday. We are approaching the most important festival of the Church year. Som...
No comments:
Post a Comment