Sunday, September 27, 2015

Faithful to Write - Tracy Krauss

The words of Habakkuk Chapter Two resonate in the ears of many Christian writers I know - including me:

I will stand at my watch
and station myself on the ramparts;
I will look to see what He will say to me,
and what answer I am to give to this complaint.
Write down the revelation
and make it plain on tablets
so that a herald may run with it. (NIV)

This passage is clearly about the calling that many feel to write. And yes, I believe this applies to fiction writers, too. The fact that God uses story to reach people is well documented. After all, Jesus himself used parables to get his message across.

Stories are a powerful tool in the hands of a skilled writer and can influence and impact long after the entertainment factor has worn off. Take for instance Frank Peretti's iconic This Present Darkness. It continues to be a spiritual warrior's call to action, even after almost thirty years. (Apparently a revised edition came out in 2003. I still have the original 1980s version...) Authors like C.S. Lewis, Francine Rivers, and others come to mind as weavers of stories that have had a lasting and profound impact on a spiritual level.

I don't presume to lump myself in with such glowing examples, but I have been blessed to receive feedback from readers telling me my work affected them in a positive way. I love to tell stories of redemption and grace based on characters that are less than squeaky clean, but whom God uses anyway. I think people appreciate the fact that God keeps short accounts when we come to faith in Christ. There is hope for everyone - even the most unlikely.

This month we were encouraged to write about 'Faithfulness'. I can't help but think how this applies to us as Christian writers - even those of us that have committed to write for this blog. I am grateful for the men and women who are faithful to post here each month. I know that many of us lead very busy lives and it isn't always easy to find time to write yet another blog post. As well, it takes effort to think of something new to share that is both interesting and relevant. Thanks, too, to our lovely moderator, Glynis Belec, who keeps us on track.

Keep on writing faithfully, my dear friends, both here and in the other things God has laid on your heart. It is a high calling not to be taken lightly.

___________________

Tracy Krauss writes fiction, non-fiction, and stage plays from her home in British Columbia. http://tracykrauss.com





3 comments:

fudge4ever said...

I love that passage of scripture, Tracy. There's a sense of urgency about getting the word out which I think is very fitting for our times. And I love your stories, as usual! It was wonderful seeing you again. We had a gorgeous flight. Back to work today. Blessings on you and your work as well!
Pam

Peter Black said...

Thanks Tracy. A lovely post. Hmm, and it carries a sobering point for writers who are Christian. Your writing themes of grace and redemption are my favourites, too.
It's good to hear that you ladies were able to enjoy fellowship and that Pam had a gorgeous flight. ~~+~~

Glynis said...

"Stories are a powerful tool in the hands of a skilled writer and can influence and impact long after the entertainment factor has worn off."

I think this is a brilliant statement you make, Tracy. And with that skill comes great responsibility and accountability to the giver of gifts. Well said, young lady! ( and thanks for the little bit of loving!) ;)

Popular Posts