Saturday, July 22, 2017

Reframing by Carol Ford







The term reframing can be defined as putting a picture in a new frame. What if that picture is an event or circumstance in our life—a disappointment, illness, or setback? Are you able to reframe the situation with a new feeling or attitude? It’s not easy.

I’ve had a firsthand opportunity a few years I had a chance to do just that. It shifted how I viewed changed to my plans tha summer .  Because of a medical issue with my husband, I had to stay at home instead of enjoying a summer getaway with friends.  I knew it was the right decision.

 The first couple of days I allowed myself a pity party and some mental pouting, but as I reflected on the bigger picture and what God could do, I had a spirit of change. Not only could I support my husband, but I had an unexpected opportunity to ‘love on’ my grown son.  My son had to work in the city near our home, so he stayed overnight with us for these two weeks.  I made sure he had a good breakfast, a lunch in his cooler and a healthy dinner late in the evening when he returned from his manual labour. How sweet is that! I really enjoyed the experience; one that a mother doesn’t often have once their son becomes a father and husband.

Some of my best devotions in As The Ink Flows: Devotions to Inspire Christian Writers & Speakers were written while I had to lay on my back for two months.  During that time, I was encouraged by Jesus words....
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 NIV

What are you currently experiencing that you need to put in a ‘new frame’?  Can you take the situation that is troubling you and reframe it with a positive attitude?

L-R Claudia Loopstra, Melony Teague, Marguerite Cummings, Carol Ford (Glenda Dekkema absent)
Friends in the Word, Authors of As the Ink Flows: Devotions to Inspire Christian Writers & Speakers

Carol Ford’s is a co-author of As the Ink Flows: Devotions to Inspire Christian Writers & Speakers and has a short story in Hot Apple Cider with Cinnamon and Christmas with Hot Apple Cider (available October 2017). She is featured on Hope Stream Radio in a program entitled Life Under the Sun.  https://carolfordassociates.wordpress.com/



4 comments:

Janis Cox said...

So true Carol,
It's our attitude towards situations that can make it good or bad.
Blessings
Janis

Peter Black said...

Thanks Carol. "Reframing" - what a helpful analogy and fine devotional focus, tied in with the delightful Mom and son story! (I trust your husband is now keeping well.) ~~+~~

Glynis said...

Oh boy. Isn't this the truth, Carol? I have that happen often, too, about shifting plans and reframing! Just shows us, our plans are not God's. They are great when they line up, but we are to be open to the Spirit when they don't. And yes, what a privilege you might have missed with you son if you had been away as per your plans! Hopefully, like Peter says, your hubby is okay now.
And what truth - how you indicated flat on your back brought out the best in your writing - it's called writing with passion and writing from the heart, I believe. Love your book. Fabulous photo, too!

Carol Ford said...

Thank you, Peter and Glynis You are both such an encouragement to other writers. I think some of our best writing comes right out of our current trials and experiences. God Bless you both for your support.

Popular Posts