Wednesday, February 22, 2017

A Prompt to Write by Carol Ford



I volunteered to a write blog for The Word Guild site on the 22nd of each month, and February’s theme “love” was idling in the back of my mind, but I was having trouble moving forward with the piece.  Then I remembered our writers’ group had written a devotional specifically for this purpose. How could I have forgotten this source? Do you sometimes forget to apply the very ideas you have put in writing to inspire others?
I leafed through our book As the Ink Flows: Devotions to Inspire Writers & Speakers and found the devotion entitled “Writing with Love,” written by Glenda Dekkema. Here was the prompt I needed. Glenda had written out 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 and replaced the word “love” with the word “writing”.
"Writing is patient, writing is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Writing does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”
At the end of this devotion, Glenda asks the reader to reflect on the words of Mother Teresa, “I’m a little pencil in the hand of a writing God, who is sending a love letter to the world.”
She also prompted the reader to write a love letter to the world, the army, a victim, or my nemesis.
This gave me an idea for today's blog. I chose to write a letter to a victim.

Dear victim of war,
Nightly, when I view the news, I see the violent and shocking ways your life is being destroyed and abused in the turmoil of war.  My heart aches for the misery and sadness I see in your eyes, especially in the eyes of your children. I watch your desperate flight from enemy fire, the bleeding injuries to your loved ones as they lay in overcrowded and unsanitary conditions, the mud and snow you have to trample through to carry out your daily chores, and the temporary shelters that make up your home. I cannot comprehend the depth of anguish and pain you must be feeling, but I want you to know, that with every meal I eat, or when I crawl into a warm bed, or observe wet and cold weather from my dry and comfortable home, I’m acutely aware of the contrasts and of God’s blessings in my own life. I feel guilty. I ask God, “Why am I safe and sound when so many others are suffering in the world?”
I feel helpless to right these injustices being inflicted on you, and, although I pray, give money to missions and look for opportunities to help those in my own community, it never seems to be enough.
I wanted to write this letter to tell you that you are not forgotten and that God loves you, and he knows all about your trials.  He really cares and so do I. The following scripture might be of some comfort to you. These words are from The Holy Bible, words believed by followers of Christ around the world. “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8:38-39 New International Versions (NIV)
As I close this letter, be assured that many of us continue to pray for peace and restoration in your country.

In Christian Love, Carol




Carol Ford is a co-author of As the Ink Flows: Devotions to Inspire Christian Writers & Speakers and has a short story in Hot Apple Cider with Cinnamon. She is a career coach and speaker. 
https://carolfordassociates.wordpress.com/








2 comments:

Peter Black said...

Thank you, and welcome, Carol! The 1 Corinthians 13 application to those of us writing in the name of our Lord works very well. And, I appreciate your warm, thoughtful letter to "Dear victim of war . . ." May it be of encouragement and comfort to those who read it. ~~+~~

Carol Ford said...

Peter, I appreciate your feedback.

Popular Posts