Sunday, April 12, 2015

When Howling Storms of Doubt and Fear Assail Ruth Smith Meyer

 One would think that with the arrival of printed copies of a book that has been the object of one’s labour for an extended time, there would be a feeling of elation and satisfaction.  Initially, that was my reaction when Out of the Ordinary arrived. That had been my reaction with my other books, so that is what I expected this time too.  However, there was a difference!  My other books were novels and a children’s story.  Because I didn’t know for sure when the books would arrive, there were about two weeks of waiting before the launch I had planned. In that time, I felt “the howling storms of doubt and fear assail.”  This book was just about me—my life—would anyone really be interested?  Was I delusional to think my life could make a difference to anyone?  What if nobody came? What if everyone thought I was being presumptuous? What if no speaking engagements emerged as they did with my novels? 
 
The library where I was to have my launch told me that 10 or 12 was the usual size of crowd out to this kind of thing. Then I was asked to speak at a senior’s event two days before.  Should I make my books available there, or should I wait for the launch?

Several days before the launch, the library let me know they were getting extra chairs in since many people had said they’d be there.  That assured me enough that I did take my books along to the speaking engagement and I sold almost as many as there were people there. The same happened to quite a crowd who came to my launch. At three events since it was the same story.  People came waving their $20 bills saying “I want one, I want one.”

The phone calls are coming in asking me to speak to different groups in quite a large area, and I have several engagements confirmed.  In fact, I’m having to be careful to keep them within the limits of my physical stamina. I’m amazed, astounded and yes, refreshed and reassured!  I feel as though my calling has been reaffirmed and I am full of joy.  I feel the renewed hope that Easter brings.

Again, I know that,
               Standing on the promises I cannot fall,
               listening every moment to the Spirit's call,
               resting in my Savior as my all in all,
               standing on the promises of God.
                



2 comments:

Peter Black said...

Heh! Heh! I love it, Ruth!
Congratulations to you on this encouraging response. My thought is that you have 'community capital and credibility' in your neck-o'-the-woods. A good name (or testimony) is better than riches, as the proverbialist tells us. ~~+~~

fudge4ever said...

Hi Ruth, this song was running through my mind yesterday and I was trying to place it. It was good to read your words today.
Pam Mytroen

Popular Posts