Saturday, April 11, 2015

Feeling Blessed--Carolyn R. Wilker




Blessed means more than just saying thank you. The Canadian Oxford Dictionary defines blessed with such words as sanctified; often fortunate in the possession of, listing such items as good health and children; and bringing happiness. I could just list my blessings one after the other, or I could contemplate a few of those at a deeper level.
 I begin with the most recent, and in no particular order—our newest addition to the family.
We’ve become grandparents again, adding a new small one to the family. Tiny Mya is more than three weeks old as I post today. Her cousins, by comparison, are bigger than her, but in relative terms, I’ll call them “her little cousins” for they are three-and-a-half and five-and-a-half years old. The girls have been curious about this coming baby for months now, and not long before Mya was born, they asked their aunt if she would bring a little girl. A fair question, since we didn’t know at the time whether the baby would be a boy or a girl. I look forward to observing their reactions as Mya grows and eventually smiles at them. They both had turns holding their small cousin when we gathered at Easter.

                                                               Mya and me
We marvel at those tiny fingers and toes, the utter innocence of a newborn. I have looked forward, at each grandchild’s birth, to snuggling the small one to me and the soft breath against my neck as the child relaxes and goes to sleep. And as the baby grows, there’s so much more to look forward to as she engages in this new world. Thus grandchildren are my first item under blessings today.
I could list a free country where we can worship without fear, or having the land to plant a small garden to grow food and flowers, to bring nourishment and beauty. Both are good, however, my next one for the moment is my friends.

                                                                    My friend Kathy

Perhaps it’s having so recently attended the funeral of my long-time friend, Kathy, that I place my friends next. It’s a reminder to send those little notes about what they mean to me, as I did for Kathy while I still could, and a remembrance of other friends, such as Annie, Gayleen and Barb, who have gone before me. At such a time, I want to consider what Kathy has meant to me and other close friendships I have, even if miles separate us. I value the special qualities of a sincere heart, a listening ear, prayer for one another's needs, and the joyful celebrations we’ve had together, and because friendship goes both ways, I strive to do the same. I want my friends—and you know who you are, to know how much you are appreciated.
The list of blessings could be quite long. My immediate and extended family are a big part of it. And there’s our heavenly Father, too, whose love we can reciprocate only in part. We’ve been loved first, before we could love him, and this is where Jesus fits in.
We are told that we do not see clearly now, and that any images we have of God are like looking at a reflection that's not very precise. From that I take that we will only fully appreciate and see that love completed when we see Jesus face to face one day. I’m not in a hurry to get there, but I know that others have spoken of that meeting in their final words in their earthly life. We know that Jesus goes ahead to prepare a room for us when we are no longer able to go on here. That’s who and what we celebrate this Easter season, for we are God’s children and Jesus wants to be counted as our friend.


Carolyn Wilker is author, editor, writing instructor and storyteller. Learn more about what she does here.

3 comments:

Peter Black said...

Thank you for sharing these personal and poignant aspects of blessing. From the joy of cradling a newborn to the wistful remembrance of dear departed friends and the hope of reunion with them through the Father's love in the gift of His Son - Jesus our Lord. ... Touched my heart, Carolyn. ~~+~~

Carolyn R. Wilker said...


And, Peter, your response warms my heart too. Thanks for your gracious reply.

Janet Sketchley said...

Thanks for this reminder to value those we love and to tell them while we can. Carpe diem really does matter.

Popular Posts