Friday, August 15, 2014

Everything Old is New Again

About a month ago, my wife and I went for a leisurely Saturday drive out to the Carp Farmer's Market about a half hour from Ottawa. It was one of those ideal summer morningsperfect weather. We thoroughly enjoyed the displays of fresh produce and home-baked goods, but best of all we enjoyed sampling them. Surrounded by friendly faces and live country music, who could ask for more?

But there was more. On the fairgrounds next to the farmer's market antique autos were rolling into position for a 100+ vintage car exhibit. I've always revelled in these displays, so after a locally prepared midmorning snack, we sauntered over.


Now I admit I find early twentieth century cars fascinating, but for me, pure nostalgia draws me to the mid-century beauties of the 1950's and '60's—the cars of my childhood and youth. Nothing says classic styling like the fins on a '57 Chevy or a mid '60's Mustang.



But for me the real find—the pearl among the oysterswas a green 1953 Ford. Why did this car attract me like a magnet? It was the first car I remembermy father's family car. I remember every detail about it from the chrome jet hood ornament to the Ford name crest on the trunk.





A thousand half-forgotten memories flooded back when I set eyes on that car. I was a one-year-old when Dad bought that car back in Saskatchewan. I cut my teeth in that old Ford and it was a central part of so many childhood memories. And here it wasa near perfect replicasitting before some sixty years later. Furthermore, my name was on the license plate. How cool is that!


Unfortunately, over time we have lost so much. My father's old Ford went to rust bucket heaven a decade or two after he drove it home from the dealer. Cars rust, fabric frays, memories fade. That's why I draw so much comfort from this Bible verse: Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! (2 Corinthians 5:17).
This body of mine may be growing old and showing signs of wear, but in Christ I am being renewed every day. If there is resurrection and renewal for old cars, surely through faith in the risen Christ there is hope for this old body of mine. And if that be true there may even be hope for my Dad's old 1951 pick-up truck stored in a shed in Saskatchewan, and my grandma's bones stored in a grave a few miles away.  
So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable (1 Corinthians 15:42).
There's hope and renewal for old Ford's and Kitz's too!

David Kitz is an award-winning author and Bible dramatist. For details on his book and drama ministry visit www.davidkitz.ca


4 comments:

Unknown said...

David, thank you for sharing your precious motor memories. How quickly nostalgia stirs our hearts with yearning, when unexpectedly triggered. Thanks for the reminder of the living hope of renewal and re-creation we have in Christ! ~~+~~

Glynis said...

Oh my, David, I, too, love these classic cars. So much more character. Sounds like you had a fabulous day of memories!
And how true about the 'rusting and fading away.' Thanks be to God that He has created us to be imperishable in eternity with Him!

Ruth Smith Meyer said...

I keep watching antique car shows for an emerald green and ivory 53 Meteor because it holds precious memories. However I still have those memories and I also have a longing for eternity that will envelope all of time and forever after.

Ed Hird+ said...

Thank God, David, for his renewing our youth like an eagle. He makes the old new, fresh and alive. Touch us, Lord Jesus, today.

Popular Posts