Thursday, March 10, 2011

Fan of Facebook - Meyer

Social media is here to stay – whether we like it or not. So I figure, I might as well like it!

I was going to entitle this blog post “I love Facebook!” but thought that might be taking things a bit too far.

Maybe it would be more accurate to say that I don’t dislike Facebook as much as I used to (lol). Acquiring a high-speed Internet connection has helped a lot with my acceptance of this form of social media.

Reading this poem by Stephanie Nickel also really helped me to “see the light.”

E-Living

While admitting
I have wasted
Far too much time
On a certain social network,
I also proclaimed
My excitement
That I’d made friends
All around the world.
To that statement,
One lady responded,
“Who needs them?”
Or something to that effect.
Time for a big breath.
E-living
Is definitely not a substitute
For face-to-face,
Heart-to-heart,
Day-to-day
Life.
However,
In my case,
And for many others,
It is a wonderful way
To connect,
To support,
To stay in touch.
As I’ve mentioned,
I’ve made
Some great friends
Online.
I’ve kept in touch
With friends
I rarely get to see.
When I’m too far away
To hug a hurting friend,
A (((hug)))
At least let’s her know
I’m thinking of her.
When another friend
Shares exciting news,
I can
(jump up and down)
And rejoice.
When the miles separate,
My friends are as close
As the computer screen.
My heart soars
At the thought
That I can brighten someone’s day.
So…
Who needs them?
That’d be me!
As long as I’m able,
I’ll continue to soar
In cyberspace.

Published with permission of author, Stephanie Nickel. Poem originally posted November 29, 2010 on Stephanie’s blog at http://www.free2soar.wordpress.com/

Personally, I still find Facebook more of a worry than a joy. I worry that I’m not sending a flower in return for the flower that I received or participating in the newest poll or building a farm or a city or even chatting! I don’t know where to stop or start on such things so I usually just dip in for a quick visit every once in a while but don’t spend a lot of time there.

Having said all that, I would love to be your friend. I just need to get a "roundtuit" and accept some of those friend requests.

Facebook can keep you busy for hours! And there is a ton of good stuff out there. One Facebook page that I would like to recommend to you is https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hot-Apple-Cider-Anthologies
On this page, you’ll find out about a wonderful new anthology, A Second Cup of Hot Apple Cider, edited by N. J. Lindquist and Wendy Elaine Nelles.

See you around cyberspace - maybe even on Facebook!


Dorene Meyer
http://www.dorenemeyer.com/

Author of The Little Ones and Jasmine
Now in book stores across Canada
Distributed by Word Alive Press http://www.wordalivepress.ca/.
Available online and as ebook on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/ (key in title of book and publisher: Word Alive Press).
Also author of Lewis, to be launched March 30! http://www.mcnallyrobinson.com/event-10286/Dorene-Meyer----Book-Launch

1 comment:

Peter Black said...

Dorene, you reflect some of my own ambivalence re. cyber social networking. A very interesting and entertaining piece that offers a brighter, hopeful ray to those of us who only with reluctance have dragged our feet in this area!
Thank you.

Popular Posts