Monday, August 23, 2010

Talking to Yourself -- Kimberley Payne



On The Word Guild discussion forum, Peter Black asked the question, “How many of us engage in the practice of talking out loud to ourselves? (I know I talk back to the radio and tv more than I ever did!) ~Is it something that comes naturally to us because we are accustomed (especially fiction writers, perhaps) to working out dialogue between characters? Perhaps inner conversations so easily become an outward thing with us (er, at least some of us). Hmm, could be dangerous!”

N. J. Lindquist answered, “Not only have I talked to myself pretty well all my life, but I've also discussed things with my dolls, stuffed toys, paper dolls, my children before they were born and when they were less than a year old, and my dogs. My family is used to hearing me talking and ignoring me - rather annoying when I'm actually talking to them. :-)”

Like N. J., Darlene Oakley talks to herself all the time. “I do this all the time. I talk to the radio too. Just don't start arguing with yourself. The good thing about talking to yourself is you're always right, you have a very attentive audience, and there's no chance of you being ignored! :-)”


Benjamin Collier shared, “I believe it was Tolkien's Gandalf who said of talking to one's self, "A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to." Of course, I've had that habit for a while now and I'm only in my 20s - but I do have A.D.D. I use it to defend both sides of an argument, if I'm expecting to have a deep spiritual conversation with someone in the near future. It's also good for brainstorming and problem solving. I don't know how "normal folk" get along without it. :)”

Do you talk out loud to yourself? Has it helped you in your writing? Has it caused any embarrassing situations? Do share!

1 comment:

Peter Black said...

Kimberley,
It's getting bad ... Now that I've moved from pulpit to pew, I have to watch this expressing out loud what should be kept in silence. On Sunday I let something slip out in a service under my breath, and immediately got a rib-poke from my other, wiser half, followed by a sharp pang of conscience! I realized I'm getting uncomfortably like my late dad, who frequently embarrassed his family with his outspokenness. I'll have to be more selective of where and when I do this. Your other respondents, however, provide comfort that tlaking out loud to oneself is not the exclusive domain of old codgerism. :)

Popular Posts