Saturday, June 05, 2010

The Road Taken - Atchison

Recently in a writer’s workshop I was re-introduced to a Robert Frost poem, “The Road Not Taken”. The last few lines of Frost’s poem caught my attention the most. Perhaps, these few lines are some of the most popular ever written.

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;


Then the
other, as just as fair,
And hav
ing perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

What chosen path has made all the difference in your life? I have to be honest. I don’t like change. I fight like crazy to keep my life from changing, but then I know that God must have a plan for me. So why can’t I trust Him?

I’ll pray for changes in my life, and then when things start going awry, I wonder, "What the heck is happening?” and try to keep everything normal. I like the road in my wood to be downtrodden, with plenty of nice picnic areas along the way, good scenery and no stones to trip over.

Whereas the road God sends me down has long grasses that block my view. I stumble upon obstacles I can’t see in the dense fog that is in my new world. I don’t know where to turn, and for those I meet on the road, I don’t know who to trust.

Yet somewhere on my new travels I find sunshine and views that are spectacular. Where there are no picnic benches to rest upon, I keep going, finding instead rich meadows that I can sing and dance around.

When change comes I still the pounding of my heart and trust in God and the different paths He chooses for me, be they the same road I am familiar with or something totally foreign. For I know every road I travel will take me to places that make me a stronger, better person, bringing me closer to God and His plan for me.

Change is imminent! While I may not see it coming, and when faced with a choice in the road to take, I’ll take the one less traveled. For I know in my heart that I’ll not walk the road alone. God will be there with me, every step of the way – and that will make all the difference!

Patricia L. Atchison
Website: www.patricia@patriciaatchison.ca
Writing & Publishing Blog: www.aboutwritingandpublishing.com

1 comment:

Peter Black said...

Patricia,
Thank you for providing the Frost lines. And thank you for your own rich lines, fit to stir a sense of joyful anticipation on our path into the future, while firming up our faith in our Father's guiding and providential hand.

Popular Posts