Thursday, June 17, 2010

Living in the Moment - Kowal


(Our Guest Post is by Maureen E. Kowal. She is the author of two Grade One Vowel Books, The Candy Map and The Loud Chime published by The Perfection Learning Company. Maureen is a freelance writer as well as a poet. Her poetry has been published in Eternal Ink, an e-line magazine. She is an Early Childhood Education graduate who has worked with children of all ages. She is a professional member of The Word Guild, and a member of CANSCAIP.)
Our church has been setting up special Sundays on different themes. We come to church and instead of the sermon, we break off into groups. Each room in the church accommodates a different group and can be for 10-12 people or maybe more.
Recently we had one on stars. One group was lead by an amateur astrologist who taught us about the stars, God’s lovely creation. Another group was led to a knowledge of stars of the Bible, particularly the star that led the wise men to Jesus. Another group was in the music room to sing a song about the star of Jesus. And then of course there were children’s activities.
Children went bouncing downstairs, where they coloured stars for a collage.
There were also stars that were already cut out, which could be coloured and names printed on them of people who had been helpful stars in their lives.
I was one of the ones bouncing down the stairs. I don’t know if it’s my E.C.E. background or just that I’m a big child myself—but just put me in a room with adults and children and I will go with the children every time. So there I was downstairs with the children colouring stars.
Children are so much fun to be around. They are so open about their views. The stars in their lives are moms, dads, grandpas, grandmas, and teachers. Mom is special, she took me here; dad is special, he took me there; my teacher is special, she understands me.
It made me think that each of us is a star in God’s kingdom. Each of us holds a special place in someone’s heart. Each of us, without knowing it, can be a twinkling light in someone’s dark night.
Sometimes we feel down and wonder what we have accomplished; wonder if we have helped anyone.
You have, believe me, you have, In the littlest things you have done, you have been a star to someone.
Our lives, as we have walked hand in hand with God, have touched the lives of others.
May God continue to be the bright star in your lives as he is in mine.
“You are the light of the world.” Matthew 4:14.
© Maureen E Kowal

3 comments:

Dolores Ayotte said...

Maureen,
What an inspirational post. Today you are a star in my life because you have shown me that even in the littlest things I have done, I may have been a star in another person's life.

At times, we can feel like very small stars, but we can still help light up someone else's life. :)

Peter Black said...

Maureen, Dolores has better described my own response to your delightful post.
I'll add that you have really pulled back the covers on the playful 'child in you' and the keen interest you have in children.
Thank you.

Violet N. said...

Keep twinkling with this little stars Maureen. I'm sure the kids enjoy you as much as you enjoy them.

Popular Posts