Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Assurance – M. Laycock

2 Timothy 1:11-12 - "And of this gospel I was appointed a herald … I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day."

There have been times when I have feared that I’ll die before writing what I really want to write – that great novel, the perfect devotional, that poem that sings and that article that changes a life. After all, death is the final interruption. It always comes at an unexpected time and often in the middle of something.

I hope my death doesn’t come for a very long time, but I know it could be sooner than I want. It could be today. That’s why I love what Timothy says in his second epistle. When I read that verse this morning it reminded me again who I work for.

He’s the kind of boss everyone wants. He’s organized and efficient, He knows all my weaknesses and strengths and exactly what direction I need to go to develop my skills. He provides ample opportunity for me to learn those skills and learn about him in the process. He knows the beginning and the end of my life and my career. He has it all mapped out so that it will give me everything I need, bless others and bring him glory.

I have committed my life and my work to Jesus Christ. I can rest in the assurance that I won’t die until He has accomplished all that he intended through me. I don’t have to fear an “untimely death.” Neither do I have to fear that death is the end of it all. To the contrary, scripture tells us it is just the beginning. We will have all of eternity to accomplish what God intends – singing his praises, glorifying him forever.

After all, death is only an interruption. The novel might be half finished, the poem only begun, but the words will continue to flow in that new reality. I know whom I have believed and am convinced that he is able.

Read more of Marcia's work at http://www.vinemarc.com/

2 comments:

Peter Black said...

Marcia,
Thank you for this perspective-adjusting and faith-building focus.
And I really like your concluding thought as phrased: "... but the words will continue to flow in that new reality. I know whom I have believed and am convinced that he is able."

Norma Hill - aka penandpapermama said...

thank you, Marcia. That was the word I needed to hear, after my own blog of today. Especially that last line, "the words will continue to flow"... and the line, "I know I won't die until He has accomplished all that he intended through me."

norma

Popular Posts