Thursday, May 15, 2008

Discipline - Harris

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge cloud of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that hinders us in our progress. And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us," Hebrews 12: 1

The sunshine is calling me.

For the past three hours, I've wanted to spring from this desk and go walking on the pathways along the coulees. But I've managed to stay here, at my desk, doing work I've been avoiding. You know, things like accounting and finishing media lists. Little jobs I like to put off. Jobs I must do if I am to making a living at the work I feel called to do.

But here I am. It's barely four p.m. And my list has dwindled down to nearly nothing.

Already, thoughts are beginning to flow. The brain clutter is gone.

I have a free half hour I can use to head out into the sunshine and, when I get back to my desk, I will have time to work on an article that is on tomorrow's 'to do' list.

They say that a messy desk is a sign of creativity. Maybe it is for some people. Not for me, though.

My desk usually reflects my state of mind. If it's disorganized, so am I.

I feel blessed once the 'to do's' are done.

Sometimes, it's a guilt free hour in the sunshine. Somtimes it's just not having nagging 'need to do's' distracting me from my writing. But the reward is always worth it for me.

What about you?

Must go.

God's creation is ablaze with light. And the sunshine is calling me.

Jane Harris

No comments:

Popular Posts