Thursday, October 04, 2007

In Praise of Seasons--Schneider


The old saying tells us that if March comes in like a lion, it will go out like a lamb. I'm here to tell you that it's September I have to worry about, not March. Every year, this month hits me like, well, a lion who hasn't eaten a good meal in days. It seems the adjustment from the summer schedule to the "now we're in school and assorted other activities" schedule leaves me racing to keep up.
Interestingly enough, though, every year, by Thanksgiving, I'm back in the groove. The morning routine unfolds with a minimum of stress, children leave for school with assorted requirements safely tucked into backpacks, and I'm able to closet myself away with my computer a cup of homemade latte to work on the next paragraph, scene, or revision of my writing.
The only other season that impacts me this strongly is spring, when it feels like every pore in my body is straining toward the new sunshine, when the sight of a newly emerged tulip shoot can put a smile on my face for the entire day.
It's good to remember the seasons of life. There are some seasons for which the Biblical phrase, "and it came to pass", seems particularly apropros--seasons in which we're stretched to our limits by pain, frustration, disappointment, or assorted other not-fun emotions. Then there are season like spring, and like the one I'm tasting this week, where life just feels good. The schedules are resolving themselves, I'm meeting the demands of each day, and I'm evening finding time to savour my experiences.
Thank our Lord for the seasons!

No comments:

Popular Posts