Sunday, January 07, 2007

Time and Money

Coming to this new place on the web, I feel I should introduce myself. My name is Carolyne Aarsen. I write fiction for Warner Faith, Guideposts and Love Inspired Steeple Hill. I'm starting a new year and a new book with new intentions as befits the calendar rolling over to another year. It feels like a fresh start in many ways. I'm also continuing an experiment I ventured on last year in January - no-buy month. A month of no discretionary spending. At all. After the orgy that can be Christmas spending, I find I need to retreat and regroup and analyze what I spend my money on and how. This year I'm doing it with a couple of other writing friends and it has been an interesting journey so far. I'm hoping the self-discipline exercised during no-buy month will spill over into my writing life. I don't always spend my money wisely, I know I don't always 'spend' my time wisely either. Putting words on the page in the isolation of my office with no one standing over me to check my progress is a constant struggle. Now that I have satellite internet, the struggle and temptations have increased. So this month is giving me a chance to look at both. And to find a way to use both the money and the time God has blessed me with in a stewardly fashion. I'm blogging about it on my other blog. Stop by if you want to follow the progress.

Carolyne
A Few Words in the Wind
Visit my website

2 comments:

Marcia Lee Laycock said...

Sounds like a great plan, Carolyne - blessings as you go. :)Marcia

N. J. Lindquist said...

Interesting concept. You're right, it's so easy to just spend and spend. And boy, do those things add up!

I was thinking about it after Christmas when I was looking at our DVDs. VCR tapes are out. CDs are in and cassette tapes are out. And we feel we have to have whatever is new and. And why rent a video when you ca buy it? Or download it. We take so much for granted.

Maybe we all should consider fasting from buying once in a while. :)

N. J.

Popular Posts